Temp/Press Relief Valve on 30 year Rheem water heater

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Temp/Press Relief Valve on 30 year Rheem water heater

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Our basement flooded a couple weeks ago. Had a plumber come out. He could not find the source but suspected the t/p relief valve. It have flooded two more times and I have now observed the valve releasing. Problem is that it is releasing at a low water temperature. Can I replace the valve until I find a suitable replacement water heater? Any recommendations on a great water heater. Our home has two heaters: one for showers and another on the otherside for washer/dishwasher. The shower heater is the one that is having problems. I understand that a 40 gal tank like the 30 year old Rheem we have is equivalent to a 75 gal tank today (per a Rheem tech consultant when we were having problems with the other 30 year old Rheem). We a willing to pay top dollar as long as we get good service. There are Three of us taking showers. In a few years our youngest will be showering also. I would prefer to pay more (alot more) now for less cold showers in the future. The water heater that were looking to replace services two bathrooms for our bedrooms. Thanks Ron

Participant

The leaking valve does not require changing the heater. The valve should be changed every two or three years just as a matter of preventive maintenance. I think the tech was blowing smoke about the efficiencies. The amount of water heated is a function of the btu input and the new heaters are almost the same or possibly a little more than the old one. Then new ones have better insulation, but most of the heat loss is through the center chimney and that has not changed in 80 years. Just use the efficiency numbers and price as a guide. Heaters with a warranty in excess of 5 years are the same as the 5 year ones, you just pay more to buy the equivalent of a 3 or 5 years extended insurance policy. And the self cleaning features only work when you use the bathtub or washing machine. : Our basement flooded a couple weeks ago. Had a plumber come out. He could not find the source but suspected the t/p relief valve. It have flooded two more times and I have now observed the valve releasing. Problem is that it is releasing at a low water temperature. Can I replace the valve until I find a suitable replacement water heater? : Any recommendations on a great water heater. Our home has two heaters: one for showers and another on the otherside for washer/dishwasher. The shower heater is the one that is having problems. I understand that a 40 gal tank like the 30 year old Rheem we have is equivalent to a 75 gal tank today (per a Rheem tech consultant when we were having problems with the other 30 year old Rheem). We a willing to pay top dollar as long as we get good service. There are Three of us taking showers. In a few years our youngest will be showering also. I would prefer to pay more (alot more) now for less cold showers in the future. The water heater that were looking to replace services two bathrooms for our bedrooms. : Thanks : Ron

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This