Placement of water heaters

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Placement of water heaters

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Does anyone know the disadvantages/advantages to having the water heater in the attic as opposed to the garage?

Participant

I dont know about you, but the thought of 30-80 gallons of water coming down through my ceiling makes me ill. Even if it sits in a pan with a drain I wouldnt be able to sleep at night. Are there water pipes in the attic and does it get cold enough to freeze up there? As far as garage placement, be sure to check local codes. Where I live a gas water heater installed in a garage has to be 18 off the floor.: Does anyone know the disadvantages/advantages to having the water heater in the attic as opposed to the garage?

Participant

There are few advantages, but the biggest disadvantage will come when it requires replacement. it will require 2 men and will take longer because the water wil have to be drained before the replacement can be done.: Does anyone know the disadvantages/advantages to having the water heater in the attic as opposed to the garage?

Participant

Scott – This is an electric heater, right? I would put it in the garage unless youre on a slab, and cant locate the heater so that the hot and cold lines run through an interior wall, above grade..:

Participant

: I dont know about you, but the thought of 30-80 gallons of water coming down through my ceiling makes me ill. Even if it sits in a pan with a drain I wouldnt be able to sleep at night. Are there water pipes in the attic and does it get cold enough to freeze up there? : As far as garage placement, be sure to check local codes. Where I live a gas water heater installed in a garage has to be 18 off the floor.: : : Does anyone know the disadvantages/advantages to having the water heater in the attic as opposed to the garage? :The house I am referring to is in Lewisville, Tx. All of the new homes are having the water heater placed in the attic. I think it is strange but that seems to be the norm.The pipes are in the attic and it doesnt get cold enought to cause damage. In rare cases when it does stay below freezing for a long period of time the faucets can be opened slightly to prevent freezing. Thank you for your comments.

Participant

: Scott – This is an electric heater, right? I would put it in the garage unless youre on a slab, and cant locate the heater so that the hot and cold lines run through an interior wall, above grade..: : : The water heater is gas and the garage is slabbed. The house is in Lewisville, TX and all of the new homes are having the water heater installed in the attic. I think it is strange however it seems to be the norm. It seems that the builder can save money on copper by placing the water heater closer to the faucets and it would be more efficient by the water having less pipe to travel to get to the faucets. Thanks for your comments.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This