Water Heater Sulphur Smell

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Water Heater Sulphur Smell

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I have had two electric water heaters installed in the past three months. I have a well system with a water softener. Both of these water heaters give off a terrible odor which fills the house when the hot water is used. I have had the water tested by water softening companies and they said the problem is with the water heaters. Do you have a suggestion as to what I can do to solve the problem?

Participant

Rudy- Take out the anode rods They are under the hex nut on top of the heater, about 1 1/4 in diameter. Alot of people will disagree with me on this because it will void the warranty on the tank. However I have installed many water treatment systems, and with a softening system upstream of the water heaters, have not noticed a significant decrease in tank life. And the upside is real big – the smell goes away !

Participant

: Rudy- Take out the anode rods They are under the hex nut on top of the heater, about 1 1/4 in diameter. Alot of people will disagree with me on this because it will void the warranty on the tank. However I have installed many water treatment systems, and with a softening system upstream of the water heaters, have not noticed a significant decrease in tank life. And the upside is real big – the smell goes away !

Participant

: I have had two electric water heaters installed in the past three months. I have a well system with a water softener. Both of these water heaters give off a terrible odor which fills the house when the hot water is used. I have had the water tested by water softening companies and they said the problem is with the water heaters. Do you have a suggestion as to what I can do to solve the problem?RUDY!!DO NOT REMOVE THE ANODE(S) — ONLY!!The correct solution is to REPLACE the Mag anodes (that are reacting with sulfate in the well water, creating the H2S gas) with Aluminum alloy anodes. While not quite as protective as the Mag, they will at least provide corrosion protection for the tank. I wont go into the reason some tanks can last a while without anodic protection, but it has to do with hardness of the water, which I assure you isnt likely in your well. And why take the chance when you dont have to? GOOD LUCK!!!Darrel

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This