flooded hot water heater

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives flooded hot water heater

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Yesterday, in our area, we had a quick and heavy rain which flooded the basement and submerged our hot water heater for a couple of hours (amazingly enough, our standing sump pump was submerged for the same amount of time yet continuted to pump water!) My question: what can happen to the hot water heater that could prevent it from lighting? The pilot light stays on, but it wont light to heat the water. Ill check the message board for a reply. Thanks for your help!

: Yesterday, in our area, we had a quick and heavy rain which flooded the basement and submerged our hot water heater for a couple of hours (amazingly enough, our standing sump pump was submerged for the same amount of time yet continuted to pump water!) My question: what can happen to the hot water heater that could prevent it from lighting? The pilot light stays on, but it wont light to heat the water. Ill check the message board for a reply. : Thanks for your help! Hello Hiram.1. main burner tube clogged. 2. burner outlets clogged. 3. main burner injector(s) clogged 4. solenoid (electric) valve shorted out 5. fuse(s) blown The main burners depend upon electro/mechanical (solenoid) valves opening to allow gas to flow, as you know, water and electrics dont mix. Good luck…..john

The whole water heater should be replaced according to Bradford-White. At least the whole gas system should be replaced. Once that gas control has been submerged in water, even if it seems to be working fine, grit and rust will eventually create a gas leak on the control. The tank could be comprimised because of a sudden temperature change from the flood too.: Yesterday, in our area, we had a quick and heavy rain which flooded the basement and submerged our hot water heater for a couple of hours (amazingly enough, our standing sump pump was submerged for the same amount of time yet continuted to pump water!) My question: what can happen to the hot water heater that could prevent it from lighting? The pilot light stays on, but it wont light to heat the water. Ill check the message board for a reply. : Thanks for your help!

There is water in the burner tube, and the gas system operated at such a low pressure that it is unable to push it out. Remove the burner tube and empty it.: Yesterday, in our area, we had a quick and heavy rain which flooded the basement and submerged our hot water heater for a couple of hours (amazingly enough, our standing sump pump was submerged for the same amount of time yet continuted to pump water!) My question: what can happen to the hot water heater that could prevent it from lighting? The pilot light stays on, but it wont light to heat the water. Ill check the message board for a reply. : Thanks for your help!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This