closet flange problem

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives closet flange problem

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

The toilet was leaking and I figured it needed new wax ring. Pulled it up and the flange is rusted away. It appears that I have a cast iron pipe with the flange attached to this. Questions #1)How do I remove the old flange? Hammer and chisel, melt the lead, cut off the pipe? #2)If I cut off the pipe, it will then be too short to just put a new flange on, so what do I add to the cast iron and how? Thanks in advance. Tony

Tony – In your situation , I think this might work. Use a 1/4 drill bit and drill out the old lead and oakum between the pipe and flange. Call around and try to find a bolt on flange. Another choice if you can access the pipe below the flange, cut it off, install a PVC flange and short nipple, using a Fernco to join it to the cast iron.

If there is space between the concete floor and the ring, use a hammer and chisel. use the chisel on both sides where the U shaped slots are and crack it all the way down. Remove the two pieces, remove the lead, and oakum and then install the new ring. If you can find an E-Z tach with three bolts and a compression ring use that, otherwise put a new ring down, install new oakum, and remelt the lead and repour the joint.: The toilet was leaking and I figured it needed new wax ring. Pulled it up and the flange is rusted away. It appears that I have a cast iron pipe with the flange attached to this. Questions #1)How do I remove the old flange? Hammer and chisel, melt the lead, cut off the pipe? #2)If I cut off the pipe, it will then be too short to just put a new flange on, so what do I add to the cast iron and how? Thanks in advance. Tony

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This