plumbing

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing plumbing

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I have a outside faucet that stays on unless I shut off the valve in the basement.So if I don,t shut off the valve, there’s constant pressure all the time even when the faucet is off outside.

Participant

The seat in the outside faucet is leaking and needs replacement. While you keep the inside valve shut off, you might be able to have someone remove the stem and seat from the outside valve to replace the valve seal or the entire valve.

Participant

Harold, Point of information OK?

Would you ask someone to rebuild a Hoffman #40 air vent? Or try to repair a defective safety Or Relief valve?

Now lets think about this example. I send out a a mechanic and bill the min service call $85, does it honestly pay to have this journeyman running around trying to locate the EXACT MATCH of this hose bib spindle?

Or is it slightly more effective to have the mechanic replace this 1/2″ 0r 3/4″ hose cock with a new quality brass one for say a 100% mark up so the client pays $12. For this $6.00 Valve plus the plumbing mechanic labor of $85

BUT NOW the client knows this job was taken care of properly ESPECIALLY if this mechanic cared enough to install a new Watts vacuum breaker designed for this type of application.

That is what separates US Professionals from the fly by nights who have the change the washer or spindle mentality.

Today Harold with all the home centers selling sewer balloons AND pesticides that get directly attracted to the potable water system don’t you honestly think the kids living in the home should be free of a possible poisoning or Hepatitis B from raw sewerage?

How about the NON LICENSED HEATING MORON who wants to “fast fill” a boiler by attaching a hose to the boiler drain down (blow down valve) thus by- passing the back flow preventers.

This is why Harold a plumbing apprenticeship is 5 YEARS and to be a “Master Plumber” took another 5 years to actually know WHY just repairing could be the most expensive job of the victims life.

Have a great one and TRY not to hurt anyone today.

Participant

I dunno Sylvan. I keep getting this picture of the homeowners who are so happy to come into our plumbing supply and get someone to help them buy a set of stem washers for a faucet. They tell us the Master Plumber screamed at them for wanting to fix their own drippy faucet. All they wanted to do was to return it to the exact way it was done by the Master Plumber who installed it. They never thought if attaching a hose to the sewer line until they heard it here.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This