septic tank outlet

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives septic tank outlet

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

We just had our tank pumped. We had a blockage in the inlet. The guy who pumped the tank tried to clear the blockage, but couldnt. After he left, I dug to the inlet pipe, opened it up & cleared it out. Now, when I looked inside the tank, I saw at the outlet side a large ragged hole (maybe 8 inches dia.) in the outlet pipe, near the top. I asked the guy (on the phone, I wasnt there when he worked on the tank)what was that hole doing there; he said it was an air vent. Is that really so? It is about 18 below the top of the tank. It looks to me like he knocked the hole in it, as he said he tried running a snake out to the distribution box, and Im afraid that the stuff on top of the water level will flow into & block up my drain field.Anyway – should there be a hole there, or should I try to patch it up (before the tank refills!)?

Avatar photoRichard Berthelsdorf
        Participant

Richard – I am confused by your description, but since I dont see any other responses, here goes: There are no air inlets that I know of. A standard septic tank has the inlet about 9 below the top of the tank. The outlet is about 2 below that. The tank needs to be level. Most residential tanks have a 4 inlet and outlet. The rest of your problems seem atypical.

Participant

John Thomas is a sweet lil boi

Participant

There should be an opening on the top of the outlet pipe, just below the septic tank lid, which would put it about 10 above the water level. The only way solids can get into this opening is if the tank overflows due to a plugged outlet baffle. This is an air vent to keep the outlet pipe from becoming air bound and not allowing water to flow out of the tank. : We just had our tank pumped. We had a blockage in the : inlet. The guy who pumped the tank tried to clear the : blockage, but couldnt. After he left, I dug to the : inlet pipe, opened it up & cleared it out. Now, when I : looked inside the tank, I saw at the outlet side a large : ragged hole (maybe 8 inches dia.) in the outlet pipe, near : the top. I asked the guy (on the phone, I wasnt there : when he worked on the tank)what was that hole doing there; : he said it was an air vent. Is that really so? It is : about 18 below the top of the tank. It looks to me like : he knocked the hole in it, as he said he tried running : a snake out to the distribution box, and Im afraid that : the stuff on top of the water level will flow into & : block up my drain field.: Anyway – should there be a hole there, or should I try : to patch it up (before the tank refills!)?

Participant

Thanks for the answers. I think this #$$@!&% guy messed up my tank, and I better repair it before my drain field is ruined.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This