Water Pressure Regulator

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Water Pressure Regulator

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

During the night I heard water running and tracked it down to the water heater. The overflow with the pressure release was dumping water out the hose and the gas kept coming on (I guess to heat up new water coming in); the valve was also dripping a little. So we turned off the water valve and the water stopped going out of the overflow. While asking a friend about this, he mentioned the pressure regulator on the water heater as well as the one on the pipe coming in from the streets water supply. I called a recommended plumber; his partner came out and checked things over. He checked the pressure coming off the street, one of the front hose faucets, and a hose faucet in the back yard; they all read 150psi. We have lived in this house for almost 14 years, and I knew we had high water pressure — I was told way back when that we have higher pressure because we live in the foothills. The plumber is fixing the leaking valve above the water heater, and hes asked me to talk to his partner in a few days because this guy has a lot more experience with pressure regulators and can make a recommendation. We have two bathrooms; pool; about 1/2 acre between front/large back yard. What would you recommend or offer as alternatives? Thanks

Participant

I would get a 1 Pressure reducing valve. Something like the Watts 25AUB http://www.terrylove.com/watts.htm or the Honeywell Braukmann D05 Pressure Regulating Valve http://www.terrylove.com/prv_hw.htmRegards, Terry Love

Participant

There may or may not be anything wrong with the old valve, but they should be changed every couple of years anyway. At 150 psi, that will cause the valve to open almost anytime a faucet is closed quickly, and if it were to get a pulse above 150 the valve should also open. The problem being that once it opens, it will not close until the pressure is reduced and at 150 psi, that will not happen. Do not be surpised if the new valve also leaks until you install a PRV and set the pressure to about 75-80 psi. There are no alternatives, and the size of the inlet pipe will determine which PRV to install. A Watts or Braukman which has a screw in top, rather than one fastened by six bolts is my preference. : During the night I heard water running and tracked it down to the water heater. The overflow with the pressure release was dumping water out the hose and the gas kept coming on (I guess to heat up new water coming in); the valve was also dripping a little. So we turned off the water valve and the water stopped going out of the overflow. While asking a friend about this, he mentioned the pressure regulator on the water heater as well as the one on the pipe coming in from the streets water supply. I called a recommended plumber; his partner came out and checked things over. He checked the pressure coming off the street, one of the front hose faucets, and a hose faucet in the back yard; they all read 150psi. We have lived in this house for almost 14 years, and I knew we had high water pressure — I was told way back when that we have higher pressure because we live in the foothills. The plumber is fixing the leaking valve above the water heater, and hes asked me to talk to his partner in a few days because this guy has a lot more experience with pressure regulators and can make a recommendation. We have two bathrooms; pool; about 1/2 acre between front/large back yard. What would you recommend or offer as alternatives? Thanks

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This