Sink Drainage

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Sink Drainage

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I have renovated my house recently and added an additional sink. The two sinks now runs into the same drainage pipe. When I started using the sinks there is a lot of knocking sound from both sinks whenever I use one sink or the other. The sound will last long after the water have gone down the sinks. This sounds will last for about 5-10 mins. Occassionally there is sound coming from the hole in the floor as well. I was told it is air lock. Is there anything I can do to rectify the drainage to remove the noise.ThanksBest Regards Joyce

Participant

It sounds more like siphonage due to an improper installation. At this stage, there is not a lot that can be done to correct it, unless the pipes are accessible. Even then, it would reuire a knowledgeable plumber to see if it can be corrected.: I have renovated my house recently and added an : additional sink. The two sinks now runs into the : same drainage pipe. When I started using the sinks : there is a lot of knocking sound from both sinks : whenever I use one sink or the other. The sound : will last long after the water have gone down the : sinks. This sounds will last for about 5-10 mins. : Occassionally there is sound coming from the hole : in the floor as well. I was told it is air lock. : Is there anything I can do to rectify the drainage : to remove the noise.: Thanks: Best Regards : Joyce

Participant

Is it the vertical pipe or the horizontal pipes that are giving the siphonage problem. Or is it the fixtures (or what you call it) directly below the sink being installed too high up.: It sounds more like siphonage due to an improper installation. At this stage, there is not a lot that can be done to correct it, unless the pipes are accessible. Even then, it would reuire a knowledgeable plumber to see if it can be corrected.: : I have renovated my house recently and added an : : additional sink. The two sinks now runs into the : : same drainage pipe. When I started using the sinks : : there is a lot of knocking sound from both sinks : : whenever I use one sink or the other. The sound : : will last long after the water have gone down the : : sinks. This sounds will last for about 5-10 mins. : : Occassionally there is sound coming from the hole : : in the floor as well. I was told it is air lock. : : Is there anything I can do to rectify the drainage : : to remove the noise.: : Thanks: : Best Regards : : Joyce

Participant

Actually it is, or could be, everything you mentioned. The problem occurs when water drains out of the sink and there is no vent at the high point of the system to let air in. Once the drainage starts, it becomes a siphon just like getting gas out of a car, and when the draining ends, the siphon starts sucking the water out of the trap, and when the wate is gone, you get the glurb, glurb, but then water drops back into the trap, and the siphon is still operating, so it happens again, and depending on the design of the system, it can repeat many times. : Is it the vertical pipe or the horizontal pipes : that are giving the siphonage problem. Or is it the : fixtures (or what you call it) directly below the : sink being installed too high up.: : It sounds more like siphonage due to an improper installation. At this stage, there is not a lot that can be done to correct it, unless the pipes are accessible. Even then, it would reuire a knowledgeable plumber to see if it can be corrected.: : : I have renovated my house recently and added an : : : additional sink. The two sinks now runs into the : : : same drainage pipe. When I started using the sinks : : : there is a lot of knocking sound from both sinks : : : whenever I use one sink or the other. The sound : : : will last long after the water have gone down the : : : sinks. This sounds will last for about 5-10 mins. : : : Occassionally there is sound coming from the hole : : : in the floor as well. I was told it is air lock. : : : Is there anything I can do to rectify the drainage : : : to remove the noise.: : : Thanks: : : Best Regards : : : Joyce

Participant

: Actually it is, or could be, everything you mentioned. The problem occurs when water drains out of the sink and there is no vent at the high point of the system to let air in. Once the drainage starts, it becomes a siphon just like getting gas out of a car, and when the draining ends, the siphon starts sucking the water out of the trap, and when the wate is gone, you get the glurb, glurb, but then water drops back into the trap, and the siphon is still operating, so it happens again, and depending on the design of the system, it can repeat many times. : : Is it the vertical pipe or the horizontal pipes : : that are giving the siphonage problem. Or is it the : : fixtures (or what you call it) directly below the : : sink being installed too high up.: : : It sounds more like siphonage due to an improper installation. At this stage, there is not a lot that can be done to correct it, unless the pipes are accessible. Even then, it would reuire a knowledgeable plumber to see if it can be corrected.: : : : I have renovated my house recently and added an : : : : additional sink. The two sinks now runs into the : : : : same drainage pipe. When I started using the sinks : : : : there is a lot of knocking sound from both sinks : : : : whenever I use one sink or the other. The sound : : : : will last long after the water have gone down the : : : : sinks. This sounds will last for about 5-10 mins. : : : : Occassionally there is sound coming from the hole : : : : in the floor as well. I was told it is air lock. : : : : Is there anything I can do to rectify the drainage : : : : to remove the noise.: : : : Thanks: : : : Best Regards : : : : Joyce Hello Joyce and hj, In the uk we can purchase anti-siphon traps which allow air in to break the siphon, at the same time preventing water getting out. They are a little more expensive than the standard traps but well worth it and much better than the smells which may well follow.

Participant

: : Actually it is, or could be, everything you mentioned. The problem occurs when water drains out of the sink and there is no vent at the high point of the system to let air in. Once the drainage starts, it becomes a siphon just like getting gas out of a car, and when the draining ends, the siphon starts sucking the water out of the trap, and when the wate is gone, you get the glurb, glurb, but then water drops back into the trap, and the siphon is still operating, so it happens again, and depending on the design of the system, it can repeat many times. : : : Is it the vertical pipe or the horizontal pipes : : : that are giving the siphonage problem. Or is it the : : : fixtures (or what you call it) directly below the : : : sink being installed too high up.: : : : It sounds more like siphonage due to an improper installation. At this stage, there is not a lot that can be done to correct it, unless the pipes are accessible. Even then, it would reuire a knowledgeable plumber to see if it can be corrected.: : : : : I have renovated my house recently and added an : : : : : additional sink. The two sinks now runs into the : : : : : same drainage pipe. When I started using the sinks : : : : : there is a lot of knocking sound from both sinks : : : : : whenever I use one sink or the other. The sound : : : : : will last long after the water have gone down the : : : : : sinks. This sounds will last for about 5-10 mins. : : : : : Occassionally there is sound coming from the hole : : : : : in the floor as well. I was told it is air lock. : : : : : Is there anything I can do to rectify the drainage : : : : : to remove the noise.: : : : : Thanks: : : : : Best Regards : : : : : Joyce : Hello Joyce and hj, In the uk we can purchase : anti-siphon traps which allow air in to break the siphon, at the same time preventing water getting out. They are a little more expensive than the standard traps but well worth it and much better than the smells which may well follow.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This