Conversion of Hot Water Heater from Nat. gas to propane gas

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Conversion of Hot Water Heater from Nat. gas to propane gas

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I moved a mobile home to an area that uses propane gas. All of my gas appliances are natural gas including my hot water heater. The guy that is trying to convert my hot water heater cant get the natural gas orafice from what he calls the burner pipe. He says that he cant get another burner pipe. He says that no one will sell this pipe because of the liability involved. This person works for the propane company and I know that he isnt just trying to sell me something. How common is this when you cant order a part in a gas appliance because of liability? Any responses would be appreciated. Thanks.

Participant

: I moved a mobile home to an area that uses propane gas. : All of my gas appliances are natural gas including my : hot water heater. The guy that is trying to convert my : hot water heater cant get the natural gas orafice from : what he calls the burner pipe. He says that he cant : get another burner pipe. He says that no one will sell : this pipe because of the liability involved. This : person works for the propane company and I know that : he isnt just trying to sell me something. How common : is this when you cant order a part in a gas appliance : because of liability? Any responses would be appreciated. : Thanks. Hello Mark, I cant really speak for the usa, but in the uk the liabilities for anyone working on gas systems is horrendous. Propane gas is very different to natural gas; it ignites more easily, it produces more heat and it is heavier than air. The pressure at which it is supplied to your appliances is greater than that of natural gas. I am not aware of any simple alterations that will safely convert your appliances to propane gas, your engineer may well be worried about the possible consequences of making a mistake, demolishing your home, and possibly some of the surrounding properties. However dont give up there may well be a much better (and useful) answer from someone more familiar with usa prractices. Good luck Mark, John (uk)

Participant

Since the orifice should be brass and the burner pipe steel, I cannot see why it cannot be removed. The other consideration is that the natural thermostat is regulated to about 6 water column pressure and L.P. runs at about 10-14.: I moved a mobile home to an area that uses propane gas. : All of my gas appliances are natural gas including my : hot water heater. The guy that is trying to convert my : hot water heater cant get the natural gas orafice from : what he calls the burner pipe. He says that he cant : get another burner pipe. He says that no one will sell : this pipe because of the liability involved. This : person works for the propane company and I know that : he isnt just trying to sell me something. How common : is this when you cant order a part in a gas appliance : because of liability? Any responses would be appreciated. : Thanks.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This