e. coli contamination

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives e. coli contamination

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

we have e. coli contamination in our (spring) water source. weve tried a number of things to get rid of it. redug the spring, shocked it with various potions, etc. any suggestions or new technology? the land used to be a dairy farm, but it has not had cows on it for at least 13 years. it is on the side of a hill, and nothing nearby is currently adding to the contamination.maybe you could tell me where i could go for more info or help? thanks a lot.

Participant

: we have e. coli contamination in our (spring) water : source. weve tried a number of things to get rid of it. : redug the spring, shocked it with various potions, etc. : any suggestions or new technology? the land used to be a : dairy farm, but it has not had cows on it for at least : 13 years. it is on the side of a hill, and nothing nearby : is currently adding to the contamination.: maybe you could tell me where i could go for more info : or help? thanks a lot.I dont have a clear answer for you but I tried entering e coli into my search engine (infoseek) and there were thousands of pages on the subject.

Participant

i went to alta vista and got 20000 possibilities. after checking out the first 150 or so without finding what i was looking for, i came here, hoping someone might be able to offer a shortcut. ill keep trying.

Participant

You may be romancing the notion that spring water means pure water. Sometimes the source of bacteria is very difficult to isolate. Consider ultraviolet disinfection for protection.

Participant

: we have e. coli contamination in our (spring) water : source. weve tried a number of things to get rid of it. : redug the spring, shocked it with various potions, etc. : any suggestions or new technology? the land used to be a : dairy farm, but it has not had cows on it for at least : 13 years. it is on the side of a hill, and nothing nearby : is currently adding to the contamination.: maybe you could tell me where i could go for more info : or help? thanks a lot.Hello again Odysea, try temporarily changing your search engine to infoseek and point it at category core: soil fumigation (in inverted commas) but only if you think the bacteria could be leeching from the surrounding soil.

Participant

: we have e. coli contamination in our (spring) water : source. weve tried a number of things to get rid of it. : redug the spring, shocked it with various potions, etc. : any suggestions or new technology? the land used to be a : dairy farm, but it has not had cows on it for at least : 13 years. it is on the side of a hill, and nothing nearby : is currently adding to the contamination.: maybe you could tell me where i could go for more info : or help? thanks a lot.You may want to check on the origin of your spring. Sometimes the origin can be miles away where contamination can occur. If you have a holding tank, you may consider shocking it with bleach or chlorine. Also, make sure that the tank is secure, that no animals, leaves, dirt, etc. can enter it. Check with your local health dept. for advice. Ultra-violet lights are excellent for bacterial contamination, but do nothing for chemical contamination if that is of concern. As a last resort, you may want to consider drilling a new well that is cased all the way or at least to an impermeable layer. Good luck.

Participant

this spring is in vermont. we are the only ones on this hill, no one above us. is it still possible that the source of the spring could be miles away? i could understand that if we were on flat land….but i am not a geologist or expert or anything. that is just my take on the logic of the lay of the land.i know the source has been shocked with chlorine in the past. dont know about the holding tank, but will look into it.thanks so much for your input.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This