Corrosion problems with galvanized well pump piping at the submersiable pump.

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Corrosion problems with galvanized well pump piping at the submersiable pump.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I am a pump installer and have been having problems with the stick of galvanized piping just above the pump in a submersable pump system. Most systems will last for 10 to 20 years without problems, but recently we have hade a couple customers systems appear with small pin hole leeks just above the pump connection on the piping (on the threads where the galvanizing is removed by the threading process). We have little problems with other joints with exposed steel elseware in the well piping system. We have used electrical tape to cover the problem area, and this seems to work well, but I dont like this solution. We use Grundfos stainless steel pumps and the same problem occured on our old Red Jacket line which uses a plastic sleeve in the pump itself. This leads me to believe that electrolysis may or may not be occuring between the pump and the piping. I dont want to use plastic pipe on a well set. I feed that plastic pipe with lead to more problems with breaking and strength in this application. Would a diaelectric union or other seperator device work to break current flow in a diaelectric situation. Please help.

Participant

Allen:. welcome to the world of pin hole leaks. We manufacture a line of products that are used to combat the effects of Electrolytic Corrosion in copper piping as well as well casings, drop pipes and pump housings. If you send your mailing address, we will be delighted to send you some interesting and informative reading material on the subject of internal corrosion, and what can be done to control it. ..Bud Suncoast Plumbing Inc Sunny Florida. State Certified Plumbing Contractor License CFC027167: I am a pump installer and have been having problems with the stick of galvanized piping just above the pump in a submersable pump system. Most systems will last for 10 to 20 years without problems, but recently we have hade a couple customers systems appear with small pin hole leeks just above the pump connection on the piping (on the threads where the galvanizing is removed by the threading process). We have little problems with other joints with exposed steel elseware in the well piping system. We have used electrical tape to cover the problem area, and this seems to work well, but I dont like this solution. We use Grundfos stainless steel pumps and the same problem occured on our old Red Jacket line which uses a plastic sleeve in the pump itself. This leads me to believe that electrolysis may or may not be occuring between the pump and the piping. I dont want to use plastic pipe on a well set. I feed that plastic pipe with lead to more problems with breaking and strength in this application. Would a diaelectric union or other seperator device work to break current flow in a diaelectric situation. Please help.

Participant

(a)Plastic pipe is not the enemy for fractional HP installations. We use it extensively in the Northeast. I understand that steel pipe keeps others without a hoist from servicing your pumps…(b) On our steel pipe jobs, I agree that tape on the threads works. Cheap but effective solution. Have you priced stainless pipe?

Participant

: I am a pump installer and have been having problems with the stick of galvanized piping just above the pump in a submersable pump system. Most systems will last for 10 to 20 years without problems, but recently we have hade a couple customers systems appear with small pin hole leeks just above the pump connection on the piping (on the threads where the galvanizing is removed by the threading process). We have little problems with other joints with exposed steel elseware in the well piping system. We have used electrical tape to cover the problem area, and this seems to work well, but I dont like this solution. We use Grundfos stainless steel pumps and the same problem occured on our old Red Jacket line which uses a plastic sleeve in the pump itself. This leads me to believe that electrolysis may or may not be occuring between the pump and the piping. I dont want to use plastic pipe on a well set. I feed that plastic pipe with lead to more problems with breaking and strength in this application. Would a diaelectric union or other seperator device work to break current flow in a diaelectric situation. Please help.

Participant

: I work for a water supply company. We are being sued for pin hole leaks within a couple of homes in a new developement. They claim the corrossivity of our water (pH 6.2) created the pin holes. How due you prove electrolysis. The problem has since beee corrected. Can you point me towards some additional literature?

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This