abs pipes

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I recently had an accepted bid on a house, but on inspection it turned out to have been built with Phoenix abs pipes. The owner didnt seem interested in making any repairs/replacements so I withdrew the offer on the house. My question is whether the builders of homes with these pipes (in the case of the home I described it was Morrison Homes) have expressed any willingness to replace these pipes?

Participant

Greg:… I installed ABS pipe in the early 70s but am not aware of any problems with this material other then its propensity to warp from being exposed to the sun on the construction site. Most plumbers prefer PVC in this area due to its ability to withstand the sun and not warp. There was a class action suit that involved the manufacturerers of Polybutylene piping, this material was used for water distribution piping, and was found to have problems with leaks due in part to the plastic fittings that were used to fabricate it into a completed plumbing system. Could it be that we are talking about two different issues. Your post mentioned the name Phoenix, I assume that it is a trade name, and if so, I am unaware of any short comings that it may have had. ABS (acronitrile-butydene-styrene) is an extemely tough plastic and has enjoyed widespread applications wherever a strong and durable product was needed. Lots of luck….Bud. : I recently had an accepted bid on a house, but on inspection it turned out to have been built with Phoenix abs pipes. The owner didnt seem interested in making any repairs/replacements so I withdrew the offer on the house. : My question is whether the builders of homes with these pipes (in the case of the home I described it was Morrison Homes) have expressed any willingness to replace these pipes?

Participant

As far as I know, California is the only state which has identified a problem with this pipe. It was a cellular core ABS which was made from recycled ABS material and had a tendency to crack, in certain cases, after a period of time. There was litigation, and the inferior manufacturers went out of business, but I dont know if there was any compensation for the homeowners in the settlement, or if it has been settled yet. And no, no builder would be willing to take on the liability of replacing, because it would open a can of worms, and they would have to replace every installation whether bad or not, and that would put them out of business just as the Polybutylene did to plumbers in the early 90s.: I recently had an accepted bid on a house, but on inspection it turned out to have been built with Phoenix abs pipes. The owner didnt seem interested in making any repairs/replacements so I withdrew the offer on the house. : My question is whether the builders of homes with these pipes (in the case of the home I described it was Morrison Homes) have expressed any willingness to replace these pipes?

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This