Pinhole leak in water tank

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Pinhole leak in water tank

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

A pinhole leak has developed in our water tank and has sprayed a phenomenal amount of water in our basement in a relatively short time. Our plumber is unavailable for several days, so I’m looking for a short term solution until we can contact him.

The hole is about a third of the way down from the top of the tank. We drained the tank to stop the spray then shut off the water pump to prevent it from refilling the tank. In the meantime, we have no water.

A friend suggested the possibility of plugging the hole with chewing gum. Does this hold any merit? Are there any other stop-gap measures that I can perform myself?

Thanks for your help!

Participant

Are you talking a tank under pressure or a header tank. if its a header tanks then try screwing in a a screw with a rubber washer behind it. if its under main style pressure you have problems.

Participant

You can try to clean the area around the tank and either solder this hole closed OR use Hercules Pro Poxy as an emergency measure until the tank can be welded or replaced

Good luck and Make sure YOUR pressure relief valve is in oplace and working

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This