gas hot water heat

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives gas hot water heat

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 26 years ago by Avatar photoPatrick OReilly.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

pilot light works when lighting pilot it will not stay lit. It has been cleaned and it heats the temperature element. The element reads 0 ohms at room temperature im not sure if thats okay. I will remove temp element and test it. Wires are red and white i am assuming its a RTD. Any other ideas on what it should read at room temperature.

Participant

Patrick: Temperature element..? RTD…? Could it be that you are talking about a thermocouple (sometimes called a safety element) Its the little thingy that protrudes into the pilot light flame? If that is what we are talking about, and the diameter of the unit is about 1/4 inch in dia., it should produce approx 300 millivolts on the DC scale of your volt meter when it is in the pilot flame, If it is 1/2 in diameter, it should produce approx. 750 millivolts when it is in the pilot flame. If you dont have an accurate volt meter, take the part to an appliance repair parts supplier or your local Gas Company, get a new one and install it. Lots of luck….Bud..

Participant

What you have is a thermopile generator. Sometimes just unscrewing the wires and refastening them will break up corrion and restore the circuit. But most often you need a new generator. It just pulls out or unscrew the locknut and install the new one.: pilot light works when lighting pilot it will not stay lit. It has been cleaned and it heats the temperature element. The element reads 0 ohms at room temperature im not sure if thats okay. I will remove temp element and test it. Wires are red and white i am assuming its a RTD. Any other ideas on what it should read at room temperature.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This