Hot water gas fired furnace pop off valve

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Hot water gas fired furnace pop off valve

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I replaced the pop off valve on the furnace because there was a leak as if the valve was not seated or coroded. I bleed the system of air after replacing the valve and the new valve leaked as well? What else could cause this problem? The system has a water tie in to the house, a regulator and a back flow preventer, as well as a epansion tank and a number of in line bleeders. The unit is 12 years young. I have high iron water but only soften water is used to feed the system.

Participant

: I replaced the pop off valve on the furnace because there was a leak as if the valve was not seated or coroded. I bleed the system of air after replacing the valve and the new valve leaked as well? What else could cause this problem? The system has a water tie in to the house, a regulator and a back flow preventer, as well as a epansion tank and a number of in line bleeders. The unit is 12 years young. I have high iron water but only soften water is used to feed the system.Richard, usually the only two reasons for a relief vale to pop are from: #1 too much pressure in the boiler or #2 to high of temperature of water causing the relief valve to pop off. Normally if your system is in good operating order and you have it maintained by a licensed plumber or service tech. you should not have any problems. Have you had the unit serviced lately? did you pull the lever on the relief valve to make it pop off manually? It is common for the relief valve to leak if you pull the lever ,after it reseats. Most compainies recommend that the relief valve be sprung once a year to insure that it is not seized shut . usually if I am doing a boiler check ill pop the valve to make sure it works,but its almost always a guarantee ill have to replace it if i do. The catch is, its worth about $30 bucks for a new relief valve compaired the boiler exploding due to excessive pressures or temperatures. REMBER: If youre not sure of what your doing with a boiler do not mess with it ! Call someone who knows what theyre doing. Its for your own saftey. I hope I didnt scare you ,its not my intension Good luck plumberjoe

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This