Water Heater Question

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Water Heater Question

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Were having a problem of inadequate hot water supply. What is the best way to check the thermostats and the elements. When the power is on, I get a 220v reading into the top element, but I can never get any power reading into the bottom element. Do both of these elemets work at the same time? Does this mean that the thermostat is bad? Whats the best way to test a thermostat? Thanks in advance for your help.

Participant

Q. Why does my water heater run out so quickly now?A. Several things could happen. First check the shower head volume if showers are too quick. A new shower head puts out about 2.5 gallons a minute. Some older heads put out 5 gallons a minute. Working with the shower head would double shower length in this case.In some cases, the dip tube on the cold water inlet has broken or worn. When this happens, it creates a short loop for the water, water at the bottom half of the tank will not be used.On electric water heaters, they commonly have two heating elements that work in turns. First the top element heats up the top of the tank, then power goes to the lower element. If the lower element is out, only the top of the tank gets heated. If the top element isnt working, there will be no hot water.Sometimes the Reset button needs to be pushed or reset. If this doesnt get the element working, use a continuity tester to determine if the element has shorted out. Replacement of the element may be needed. Terry Loveother links can be found at: http://www.terrylove.com/wh.htm

Participant

my water heater started leaking, just two small drips but enough to put quite a bit of water on my garage floor. are there any seals that can be replaced? or is the tank cracked? I know nothing about water heaters. helpThanks

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This