life of galvanized steel

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives life of galvanized steel

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

My house is 25 yrs old. Should I expect leaks from galv. steel pipe running from meter to the house? The pipe burst after a contractor installed a new meter. Is it my fault for having old pipe?

Participant

Gene:As you know all things have an (average ) life span, for my part of Florida 25 years would represent a fairly long life for buried galvanized pipe.Bud Hardman Suncoast Plumbing Inc. Sunny Florida.

Participant

I agree with bud, years is a long time

Participant

It is not your fault but it is not the plumbers either. It is a fact of life. The pipes are rusty, and if the pipes broke from changing the water meter then they were ready to break anyway. There were import galvanized pipes which only lasted about 6 or 7 years and there are also galvanized lines which have lasted 30 to 40 years. It is dependant on the steel used, the quality of galvanizing, the water in the pipes and the soil outside the pipes. In any case the solution is to replace it, because it is usually impossible to repair it properly and permanently. : My house is 25 yrs old. Should I expect leaks from galv. steel pipe running from meter to the house? : The pipe burst after a contractor installed a new meter. Is it my fault for having old pipe?

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This