journeyman card info on lead wiping

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives journeyman card info on lead wiping

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Help!!!!!! Where can I find information about lead wiping for the journeyman plumbing card or review classes??? Please someone must know I cant seem to find any reference to this………Thanks :-)

Participant

I thought that was a lost art. It is something that you have to do. No amount of reading will prepare you for the real thing.: Help!!!!!! : Where can I find information about lead wiping for the journeyman plumbing card or review classes??? : Please someone must know I cant seem to find any reference to this………Thanks :-)

Participant

h_j : If you are required to wipe a joint for a journeymans card, I have only one question…… WHY. Wiping a 4 overhead joint is a dangerous task to attempt with out some hands on experience. Where will you get bars of wiping lead or soil cloths or a brass caulking ferrules or lead pipes. I suggest that you have your licenseing board get in touch with me. I can assure them that wiped lead joints are not the wave of the future. Your right it is a lost art, and good riddence. It is a dirty dangerous nasty job that is no longer needed or wanted or legal. Dont try to revive the dead….Bud: : Help!!!!!! : : Where can I find information about lead wiping for the journeyman plumbing card or review classes??? : : Please someone must know I cant seem to find any reference to this………Thanks :-)

Participant

Again Thanks, however Its the State of Michigan who insists. Any suggestions you might have as to how to fight them on this would be wonderfull……:-)~

Participant

Ron: It is not the State of Michigan that is the one to blame for this bit of stupidity, if you had the time to research this , you would find a crusty old codger who thought it would be a neat thing to have one of the new generation of plumbers to jump through hoops just as an exercise of the power of authority. Its time to roll this guy and his kind out into the light of reality. I have been a Plumbing Contractor fo more than fifty years, and so can speak with some authority on the subject of plumbing, and the need for our new plumbers to waste time on a method of joinery that went out when I was coming into this great trade. There are plenty of areas for improvement and advancement into new technologies that will be required of the 21st Century Plumber. A needless and non -productive excursion into the past serves no useful purpose, and if it was at the request of over the hill plumbers that sit on a testing board,.. its time for a new board. Theres a place for nostalgia, and reflecting on the good old days in plumbing, but to require someone to learn how to wipe a joint just to satisfy some old coot(s) at the licensing board is really an exercise in stupidity and brings new meaning to the word assinine. I havent wiped a joint in almost 50 years for the simple reason that are better..safer..quicker.. more cost efficient…less dangerous ways of installing a closet bend or P trap. I wonder what OSHA…the EPA will have to say about having those Lead pots fired up and giving of all those deadly fumes??? Write your Congress man/woman and tell them to look into this foolishness, I think that you will find that the Lead Wipe part of the test will disappear as well it should. Didnt mean to run on so, but I have a very low tolerance to folks that are headed in the wrong direction, and insist that we join them. Let me know if I can help you throw off this yoke of counter productivity……Bud Hardman Suncoast Plumbing Inc. Sunny Florida.

Participant

: I thought that was a lost art. It is something that you have to do. No amount of reading will prepare you for the real thing.: : Help!!!!!! : : Where can I find information about lead wiping for the journeyman plumbing card or review classes??? : : Please someone must know I cant seem to find any reference to this………Thanks :-)

Participant

: : I thought that was a lost art. It is something that you have to do. No amount of reading will prepare you for the real thing.: : : Help!!!!!! : : : Where can I find information about lead wiping for the journeyman plumbing card or review classes??? : : : Please someone must know I cant seem to find any reference to this………Thanks :-)

Participant

: Again Thanks, however Its the State of Michigan who insists. Any suggestions you might have as to how to fight them on this would be wonderfull……:-)~I think I have a related question. I recently removed a shower. The shower drain in the pan was fixed to the 2 drain line with poured lead. I am having trouble finding a sub-contractor to install a new drain so I can have the pan hot mopped. I have not undertaken the drain installation myself because I consider the use of molten lead to make a joint an arcane bit of plumbers art. Do I understand from the comments above that there are better ways to set the new drain?Thanks!John

Participant

to the one who is inquiring about info. about this ridiculous requirement of lead wiping for the journeyman test. Well, I am currently taking a course to prep for this very test and it is located in Clarkston, MI. if you would like more info. then mail me at [email protected]. good- luck and fight to get rid of this harmful, yet useless test. : : I thought that was a lost art. It is something that you have to do. No amount of reading will prepare you for the real thing.: : : Help!!!!!! : : : Where can I find information about lead wiping for the journeyman plumbing card or review classes??? : : : Please someone must know I cant seem to find any reference to this………Thanks :-)

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This