Heavy rain backup

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Heavy rain backup

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I am on House and Ground Committee for my church in Cincinnatti Ohio. We have a basement, in a large late 1800s building, that is recently backing up during every heavy rain. This happened once before and we had some plumbing outfit try to clear the drains. They couldnt clear the drains on one side of the house. It kept coming back with pieces of roots. They seemed to succeed on the other side after running the complete length of their cutters (a large machine) which allowed both sides of the house to drain. We think this fix may have collapsed or partially blocked again. The backup seems to be septic in nature. Normal household usage of water and septic seems to get through without backup. We cant find any city records of stormwater and piping. They seem to have never been completelty recorded for this house. The maps just show pipes stopping in the vicinity of our house connected to nothing. Our questions are:1) Can we put in some type of temporary sump pump that will just move the overflow out into our yard? Will sump pumps move more than just dirty water? We are about 200 yards away from the main street. The land behind us is about 2 acres of undeveloped land and unused land. (Very pretty wilderness type area in the middle of the city.)2) How do we find the right person to look at our problem without spending a fortune. We are very small with very limited funds. If we have major expenses we are going to have to raise the money to do it. We only have $1-$2,000 in emergency funds we could pull from.3) Do you have other suggestions in a situation like this? We are looking at some of the roof drains and thinking of diverting them out into the back area to remove the roof water from the mix. This will require running drains across some small cemented areas. Maybe 20 foot or so.

Participant

: I am on House and Ground Committee for my church in Cincinnatti Ohio. We have a basement, in a large late 1800s building, that is recently backing up during every heavy rain. This happened once before and we had some plumbing outfit try to clear the drains. They couldnt clear the drains on one side of the house. It kept coming back with pieces of roots. They seemed to succeed on the other side after running the complete length of their cutters (a large machine) which allowed both sides of the house to drain. We think this fix may have collapsed or partially blocked again. The backup seems to be septic in nature. Normal household usage of water and septic seems to get through without backup. We cant find any city records of stormwater and piping. They seem to have never been completelty recorded for this house. The maps just show pipes stopping in the vicinity of our house connected to nothing. Our questions are:: 1) Can we put in some type of temporary sump pump that will just move the overflow out into our yard? Will sump pumps move more than just dirty water? We are about 200 yards away from the main street. The land behind us is about 2 acres of undeveloped land and unused land. (Very pretty wilderness type area in the middle of the city.): 2) How do we find the right person to look at our problem without spending a fortune. We are very small with very limited funds. If we have major expenses we are going to have to raise the money to do it. We only have $1-$2,000 in emergency funds we could pull from.: 3) Do you have other suggestions in a situation like this? We are looking at some of the roof drains and thinking of diverting them out into the back area to remove the roof water from the mix. This will require running drains across some small cemented areas. Maybe 20 foot or so.If cable equipment fixed it last time chances are you are in luck. Look in the yellow pages and find a sewer cleaner that has sewer jetting. Also ask them if they have tv sewer inspection and sewer locating equipment. Ask how much pressure their swer jet has and how much volume of water it uses. They will need at least 4000psi at 14 gpm in order to cut those roots. They should be able to fix you up with out any digging and the price should not be over the 2000.00 mark.If you still have trouble send me an e-mail I have contacts all over Ohio. good luck!!!

Participant

Sorry new to this place. I see my e-mail did not show. It is [email protected]

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This