water flow and pressure

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives water flow and pressure

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I would like to know how to calculate the required tank height (water level) given a specified water flow through an outlet pipe of known diameter connected to the bottom of the tank. At the same time, I would like to know how to calculate the same water level given a specified input water pressure to a water purifier connected to the outlet pipe. I assume some pipe resistance calculation would also be required, and I dont know how to do this either. All I know is how to calculate the water pressure at the bottom of the tank.I would greatly appreciate it if someone could enlighten me on this matter. I badly need the information.Thank you very much.Ericson Aquino.

Participant

You need to know the pressure loss associated with the exit pipe and any pressure required at the outlet of the exit pipe. Pressure loss is proportional to velocity (or flow) and the length of the pipe, it can be determined from several reference texts. ASHRAE Fundamentals handbook has some good pressure loss charts. You could also get a copy of Camerons hydraulic data (if it is still in print) for piping loss calculations. Your available head pressure in the tank will be 1PSI for each 2.3 of height of water above the outlet (assuming that this is a vented or open top tank). If you have to overcome a substantial pressure (such as a water purifier) you will have to locate your tank at the top of a hill.A college text book on fluid mechanics or hydraulics would also have the necessary information. : I would like to know how to calculate the required tank height (water level) given a specified water flow through an outlet pipe of known diameter connected to the bottom of the tank. : At the same time, I would like to know how to calculate the same water level given a specified input water pressure to a water purifier connected to the outlet pipe. : I assume some pipe resistance calculation would also be required, and I dont know how to do this either. : All I know is how to calculate the water pressure at the bottom of the tank.: I would greatly appreciate it if someone could enlighten me on this matter. I badly need the information.: Thank you very much.: Ericson Aquino.

Participant

: You need to know the pressure loss associated with the exit pipe and any pressure required at the outlet of the exit pipe. Pressure loss is proportional to velocity (or flow) and the length of the pipe, it can be determined from several reference texts. ASHRAE Fundamentals handbook has some good pressure loss charts. You could also get a copy of Camerons hydraulic data (if it is still in print) for piping loss calculations. Your available head pressure in the tank will be 1PSI for each 2.3 of height of water above the outlet (assuming that this is a vented or open top tank). If you have to overcome a substantial pressure (such as a water purifier) you will have to locate your tank at the top of a hill.: A college text book on fluid mechanics or hydraulics would also have the necessary information. : : I would like to know how to calculate the required tank height (water level) given a specified water flow through an outlet pipe of known diameter connected to the bottom of the tank. : : At the same time, I would like to know how to calculate the same water level given a specified input water pressure to a water purifier connected to the outlet pipe. : : I assume some pipe resistance calculation would also be required, and I dont know how to do this either. : : All I know is how to calculate the water pressure at the bottom of the tank.: : I would greatly appreciate it if someone could enlighten me on this matter. I badly need the information.: : Thank you very much.: : Ericson Aquino.

Participant

WE SELL PIPE VALVES AND FITTINGS WHERE I WORK AND I NEED TO FIND A TABLE OR FORMULA TO CALCULATE THE RELATIONSHIP OF PRESSURES TO VOLUME FLOW OF WATER IN SPECIFIC PIPE SIZES. I HAVE ONE CHART, BUT IT DOES NOT GO AS HIGH AS I NEED AND IF A FORMULA IS USED IT HAS ELUDED ME QUITE WELL. CAN SOMEONE HELP ?BRYAN

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This