Proper Use of Well

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Proper Use of Well

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

We have a 120′ well that we use for outdoor watering only. There are two tanks in the well house … I’m not sure of their capacity but they’re about 36″ high and maybe 24″ across. When the water stops running after 30-45 minutes, should I be cutting the power to the pump to allow the column to recharge on its rather than trying to use the pump to draw water into it? My understanding is that the pump serves only to draw water already in the column and force it into the retention tanks I spoke of and that leaving it on will only accelerate the usage of the pump motor. I’m new to using a well and would appreciate any education.

Participant

Are these tanks expansion tanks? or is this a break tank configuration? William please be more specific on the types of tanks. Do they have a place to add air? Are these tanks made of plastic or fiberglass? Tell us how they are plumbed.

Participant

If your tanks are Round the volume would be 70.46 gallons EACH IF your tanks are rectangle the volume in each would be 89.76 gallons each

Participant

Thanks for your replies.

The tanks are round, metal and light blue in color. There is a red plastic cap on top of each tank labeled “do not remove”, the purpose of which I’m unsure. The tanks are relatively hassle free … no need to add air. My understanding is that the pump draws water from within the column and forces it into the tanks which have a bladder. The pump measures the pressure within the tanks as water is forced into them. When the tanks reach a certain pressure, the pump stops and the column recharges. Outflow from the tanks is from a spigot on the outside of the well house with the water pressue coming from the bladders within the tanks. As the water drains, pressure in the tanks drops and the pump kicks on. My concern is that the pump can’t pump water fast enough into the tanks to maintain outflow pressue through the spigot and that leaving the pump on will prematurely wear it out. Alternatively, I’m concerned that leaving the pump on to draw from the column will eventually drain the column so that the pump is running for no good reason. Should the well pump have some sort of sensor that knows when the column has recharged and an automatic cut off/kick on feature to work more efficiently? Sorry about being so vague, but as I said I’m new to using a well and am trying to research from several different sources including this site.

Thanks,

William

Participant

If you have pressure tanks more than likely you will have some sort of pressure switch..in which case u dont have to shut the power off to the pump..when u shut the water off..the pressure will build in the pressure tanks till the cut out setting on the pressure switch…then it will basically wait till the pressure goes back down..usually 20 psi and kick the pump back on to supply you water for your irrigation..

Joe

Participant

also forgot that there is an automatic shut off device that will turn the pump off when u over pump the well…if u have a common franklin motor on your submirsible pump i recomend going with a pumptec controller..they have different ones to control any submirsible from 1/3hp up to 5 hp..

[email protected]

Participant

Are you running out of water? When the pump shuts down is a check valve in place to keep water from running back into the well? If you are overdrawing the well then I would also recomend some pump protection.

Participant

Oh yes those red caps are where the air would be filled. Maybe you should check them to make sure you have the propper pre-charge in them. I think most 80 gallon well tanks use 27 to 32 psi. This should be the same in both tanks so that one is not used more than the other. Only check this pressure with the tank empty!!

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This