Leaking Water Heater – HELP!

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Leaking Water Heater – HELP!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Keymaster

I woke up this morning to find that the water coming out of the “hot” tap was barely warm. I investigated in the basement and discovered that the gas water heater is leaking water out of the bottom, and apparently has been for some time because the surrounding floor and nearby carpet were soaked (although yesterday we had plenty of hot water for showers, etc.) It is coming out of the bottom in a steady drip..drip…drip…Help! I called a plumber, but it’s Sunday morning and of course I got an answering machine. What are the chances that this means I need a new water heater? What can/should I be doing till the plumber calls back? THANKS A LOT!

Participant

1- GO back down to the heater and turn off the gas valve OR the very least put it on pilot. LOOK for the normally red button on top of the gas controller SEE OWNERS MANUAL (GAS/FUEL SHUT OFF)

2- Check to make sure the flame is indeed out

3- Shut off the incoming water to keep the flooding condition to a min. ( C/W supply water to the heater)

Get the Number of gallons of your heater and this way you can call SEVERAL Licensed Master plumbers to get a price for a 5/6 or 10 year replacement. DO NOT allow ANYONE to work on your gas piping who is NOT licensed and ask to see it NOT take their word.

If your old heater is under 10 years old you may get it pro rated,
          BUT the plumber is still entitled to get paid . Normally I get for a 50 Gallon REPLACEMENT only with new relief valve $950+ and about $1,200 -1,500 for a 75 gallon RESIDENTIAL heater replacement.

Depending on your area prices will vary considerably.

The reason you only want a LMP is so he/she will also inspect the flue for proper up draft to prevent you and your family from inhaling CO (poison gas by products) Spillage problems

The LMP will also check the relief piping discharge for proper discharge full flow safe area of disposal etc.

The LMP will go through the newly installed heater showing you how to safely maintain it and how to adjust the temperature settings.

The LMP should explain how to set this heater for vacation settings and how to test your T&P properly plus how to drain the sediment out from the internal bottom of this tank.

He/she will explain the proper way to check for spillage and how to re-light the pilot light if needed

Good Luck and stay calm
          [Edited by SylvanLMP on 16 July 2000]

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This