Garbage disposal

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Garbage disposal

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Ive got a disposal that was working fine, but now appears to be jammed. The motor acts as if it wants to engage, but it just hums..then shuts off..probably the circuit breaker tripping.Im now in the process of taking the disposal out to better see what may be causing the jamming. Any secrets to removing a disposal? Seems there is some kind of a locking collar connecting the disposal to a short neck. The neck then is attached somehow to the flange that is what shows then you are looking at the sink from above. Do I need some kind of special tool to remove the collar?Thanks to anyone who can help! By the way, this is a Sinkmaster 800 garbage disposal.

Participant

Sounds like something got jammed in it in just the wrong place while it was just sitting there. This can happen to even 1 horsepower or more commercial units of all manufacturers. You are in luck though. That disposer (from the same mfr that we sell) is the EASIEST of any brand to remove.Simply disconnect the plug, disconnect the plumbing and just twist that ring counter clockwise (unless you are below the equator then its counter clockwise…just kidding). NOT the upper most nut. That nut holds the disposer onto the sink but the nut right below the upper nut. The disposer will then drop so have the other hand waiting for it.BUT…before you do that….try a wooden handle to unjam it. Turn off the electricity to the disposer. Put a broom (plunger or whatever) handle into the disposer and try turning the whole impeller assembly. Then retry turning it on (will also need to push the red restart button).If no success then its time to take down as you had wanted to do.This 1/2 hp model is VERY reliable.

Participant

: Ive got a disposal that was working fine, but now appears to be jammed. The motor acts as if it wants to engage, but it just hums..then shuts off..probably the circuit breaker tripping.: Im now in the process of taking the disposal out to better see what may be causing the jamming. Any secrets to removing a disposal? Seems there is some kind of a locking collar connecting the disposal to a short neck. The neck then is attached somehow to the flange that is what shows then you are looking at the sink from above. Do I need some kind of special tool to remove the collar?: Thanks to anyone who can help! By the way, this is a Sinkmaster 800 garbage disposal.

Participant

: : Ive got a disposal that was working fine, but now appears to be jammed. The motor acts as if it wants to engage, but it just hums..then shuts off..probably the circuit breaker tripping.: : Im now in the process of taking the disposal out to better see what may be causing the jamming. Any secrets to removing a disposal? Seems there is some kind of a locking collar connecting the disposal to a short neck. The neck then is attached somehow to the flange that is what shows then you are looking at the sink from above. Do I need some kind of special tool to remove the collar?: : Thanks to anyone who can help! By the way, this is a Sinkmaster 800 garbage disposal.

Participant

: : Ive got a disposal that was working fine, but now appears to be jammed. The motor acts as if it wants to engage, but it just hums..then shuts off..probably the circuit breaker tripping.: : Im now in the process of taking the disposal out to better see what may be causing the jamming. Any secrets to removing a disposal? Seems there is some kind of a locking collar connecting the disposal to a short neck. The neck then is attached somehow to the flange that is what shows then you are looking at the sink from above. Do I need some kind of special tool to remove the collar?: : Thanks to anyone who can help! By the way, this is a Sinkmaster 800 garbage disposal.you just need to unhook the dishwasher hose, and the black pipe comeing out of the side of the dispoal and then turn the locking flange counterclockwise and takje down the dispoal and then you can take the four screws holdining it together and take it apart and see what has gotten jammed it it

Participant

First I would recommend that you disconnect as well as turn the switch and breaker that supply power to the unit.I have installed several disposals within the past few months and all have been sinkmasters. To answer your first question, no you do not have to have a special tool to remove the large nut. If anything you might need a small hammer to tap on one of the protruding edges of the nut to break it loose. *******BE SURE TO HIT COUNTERCLOCKWISE, AND NOT TOO HARD*****.Some other things I would recommend if you are taking the disposal out is to clean inlet (small openning) for the dishwasher drain hose as well as the outlet (larger openning, this should save you some problems in the future.

Participant

First I would recommend that you disconnect as well as turn off the switch and breaker that supply power to the unit.I have installed several disposals within the past few months and all have been sinkmasters. To answer your first question, no you do not have to have a special tool to remove the large nut. If anything you might need a small hammer to tap on one of the protruding edges of the nut to break it loose. *******BE SURE TO HIT COUNTERCLOCKWISE, AND NOT TOO HARD*****.Some other things I would recommend if you are taking the disposal out is to clean inlet (small openning) for the dishwasher drain hose as well as the outlet (larger openning, this should save you some problems in the future.

Participant

First I would recommend that you disconnect as well as turn off the switch and breaker that supply power to the unit.I have installed several disposals within the past few months and all have been sinkmasters. To answer your first question, no you do not have to have a special tool to remove the large nut. If anything you might need a small hammer to tap on one of the protruding edges of the nut to break it loose. *******BE SURE TO HIT COUNTERCLOCKWISE, AND NOT TOO HARD*****.Some other things I would recommend if you are taking the disposal out is to clean inlet (small openning) for the dishwasher drain hose as well as the outlet (larger openning), this should save you some problems in the future.

Participant

: : : Ive got a disposal that was working fine, but now appears to be jammed. The motor acts as if it wants to engage, but it just hums..then shuts off..probably the circuit breaker tripping.: : : Im now in the process of taking the disposal out to better see what may be causing the jamming. Any secrets to removing a disposal? Seems there is some kind of a locking collar connecting the disposal to a short neck. The neck then is attached somehow to the flange that is what shows then you are looking at the sink from above. Do I need some kind of special tool to remove the collar?: : : Thanks to anyone who can help! By the way, this is a Sinkmaster 800 garbage disposal.9/4/99 I think I have the same model and the same thing has just happened to us. We did fish out the metal pop top from a cola can and thought that was the problem, but when we found and pressed the reset button, the motor only hummed. Of course, our builder didnt leave the installation or maintenance instructions for the disposal for us…

Participant

: : : : Ive got a disposal that was working fine, but now appears to be jammed. The motor acts as if it wants to engage, but it just hums..then shuts off..probably the circuit breaker tripping.: : : : Im now in the process of taking the disposal out to better see what may be causing the jamming. Any secrets to removing a disposal? Seems there is some kind of a locking collar connecting the disposal to a short neck. The neck then is attached somehow to the flange that is what shows then you are looking at the sink from above. Do I need some kind of special tool to remove the collar?: : : : Thanks to anyone who can help! By the way, this is a Sinkmaster 800 garbage disposal.: 9/4/99 I think I have the same model and the same thing has just happened to us. We did fish out the metal pop top from a cola can and thought that was the problem, but when we found and pressed the reset button, the motor only hummed. Of course, our builder didnt leave the installation or maintenance instructions for the disposal for us… It turned out that we had ANOTHER pop top down in the disposer. Once that was out, it reset and worked OK.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This