leaky hot water heater

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives leaky hot water heater

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Our gas hot water heater is leaking out the bottom. The rate gives a small puddle in about 12 hours, enough to soak a medium sized bath towel. Other possible relevant facts: the water heater is inside, original in a 28 yr old home, and there is a loose correlation with wet weather and taking a shower. My dilemma is this: its almost Christmas and we will be going out of town in a few days for a week. I dont want a flood when I get back nor ruin my trip with worry. Whats the best course of action?

Participant

: Our gas hot water heater is leaking out the bottom. The : rate gives a small puddle in about 12 hours, enough to : soak a medium sized bath towel. Other possible relevant : facts: the water heater is inside, original in a 28 yr : old home, and there is a loose correlation with wet : weather and taking a shower. My dilemma is this: its almost : Christmas and we will be going out of town in a few days : for a week. I dont want a flood when I get back nor ruin : my trip with worry. Whats the best course of action? A water heater that is leaking, especially an old one, can get worse at any time. The simple solution is to replace the heater. If that cant be done now, then turning off the water heater while on vacation would be a wise choice. ( both water and gas )I have seen water heaters that have ruined all the carpeting in a home during vacations. Water heater info http://www.terrylove.com/wh.htmRegards, Terry Love

Participant

Cindy…Live with your old water heater for a few more days. When you leave town, shut the gas and the water off to the heater. Connect a garden hose to the drain cock on or near the bottom of the heater and open the valve to drain the heater so you wont have to worry about it ruining your carpet. When you get back fill the heater back up with water(untill it flows in the bathtub, and then relight your heater. You will still have the leak, but you can change the heater at your leisure. Have a safe trip and Merry Christmas…….Bud..Suncoast Plumbing.. Sunny Florida…

Participant

Cindy.Bud (as usual) gave GREAT instructions and advice. Listen to him!!!! :-)Also, (in my mind) that free advice is worth more than $50. (a doctor would charge at least $75. and tell you take an aspirin and call him in the morning) and during this holiday season I hope that you will give at least that much to your favorite charity in honor of Bud and Lorenzo (the owner of this site).Also, you folks that are reading this right now….most of you are getting a wonderful free education courtesy of people like Terry, Bud and Lorenzo and it is my hope that during this season of giving you will give back to society as well and give (time or moneys or both) to your favorite humanitarian cause.Happy holidays and peace on earth,Vic

Participant

: : Cindy…Live with your old water heater for a few more days. When you leave town, shut the gas : and the water off to the heater. Connect a garden hose to the drain cock on or near the bottom of the heater and open the valve to drain the heater so you wont have to worry about it ruining your carpet. When you get back fill the : heater back up with water(untill it flows in the : bathtub, and then relight your heater. You will still have the leak, but you can change the heater at your leisure. Have a safe trip and Merry Christmas…….Bud..Suncoast Plumbing.. : Sunny Florida…The safty vauvle on top of the heater leaked so I replaced with a new one and it still leaks,I turned the temp.down to 120 and it still leaks it runs on elect,now what do I do???? It only has one eliment at the bottom Im lost,Please tell me what to do ,Thanks Jimmy

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This