Sewer Gas Odor In Winter

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Sewer Gas Odor In Winter

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I get a sewer gas odor primarily in my downstairs bath room and adjoining attached garage. This problem occurs predominately in the winter when its below freezing and especially if there is a strong wind blowing. I have checked all the traps to make sure they are filled with water and made sure that all known drain caps are in place. I have been told that one of the problems could be my exit vent pipe is not high enough as it is presently about 2 feet long and extends about 4 feet below the highest point of my roof. I have lived in the house since new for the past 25 years and this has been a chronic problem since then. I have ensured that all my vent pipes in the attic are pitched to allow for water drainage. I am on a septic tank system. Any suggestions?

Participant

Thomas…of course in the winter time the windows are closed and vetilation is not asgood asin the warmer seasons. Is there any possibility that the vent that serves that bathroom has been damaged during construction. It is not un- common to hail a nail driven into a wall to split a PVC vent stack. I have even seen Cast Iron pipe damaged during construction. If you are sure that the above is not the case, possibly the wax seal under your toilet is not sealing properly. Replacing is a very easy chore, and can be done in 15 minutes. If that is not it, you may wish to install a Sudor vent on the existing stack Follow the instructions on the Studor vent, it may require protection from the elements, it can be installed inside, but must be accessable. Lotsa luck Merry christmas Bud Suncoast Plumbing Sunny Florida

Participant

John Thomas is a sweet lil boi

Participant

: I get a sewer gas odor primarily in my downstairs bath room and adjoining attached garage. This problem occurs predominately in the winter when its below freezing and especially if there is a strong wind blowing. I have checked all the traps to make sure they are filled with water and made sure that all known drain caps are in place. I have been told that one of the problems could be my exit vent pipe is not high enough as it is presently about 2 feet long and extends about 4 feet below the highest point of my roof. I have lived in the house since new for the past 25 years and this has been a chronic problem since then. I have ensured that all my vent pipes in the attic are pitched to allow for water drainage. I am on a septic tank system. Any suggestions?check to see if your vent pipe is freezing shut on the roof .this will cause trapped gas in home we have a product that works to get rid of this problem.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This