Water line insulation

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Water line insulation

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I am installing a bathroom in our sunroom additionwhich will be insulated and only heated by a fire place when in use. My problem is that I am running water lines to the sunroom from the basement of the house under a sub-floor in the garage into the sunroom and I dont know how to insulate the pipe. I dont want to use any electrical freeze protection because the pipes will be unaccessible after the floor is finished. Would the standard foam pipe insulation be enough? What can I use to assure the pipes wont freez?

Participant

: I am installing a bathroom in our sunroom additionwhich will be insulated and only heated by a fire place when in use. My problem is that I am running water lines to the sunroom from the basement of the house under a sub-floor in the garage into the sunroom and I dont know how to insulate the pipe. I dont want to use any electrical freeze protection because the pipes will be unaccessible after the floor is finished. Would the standard foam pipe insulation be enough? What can I use to assure the pipes wont freez? Mark, Pipes in an unheated space will freeze whether insulated or not if the temperature of the room drops below freezing. To assure that the pipes will not freeze, you would need to either heat-tape the pipes or have a back-up heat source to the room, maybe just opening a door from your home to the sun room Safer would be to add either a baseboard electric heater or a gas space heater I have repaired many insulated pipes in unheated areas when the temperature drops below freezing. Regards, Terry

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This