Sewer Gas

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

How can I get rid of sewer gas emanating from a basement drain? Our house is approx. 85 years old. We have done extensive remodeling including installing a second bath, but cannot rid the house of this obnoxious odor, especially when it gets warm.What can we do?

Participant

Generally by making sure that the trap seal is always filled with water you will eliminate most odors. When it is warm the evaporation goes even quicker. The best way to keep that trap filled with water is to either fill with water every other day or so (a real pain in the neck) or to install a trap primer. A trap primer installed at a toiletor other fixture that is used everyday somewhere in your house can put a small amount of water into that floor drain trap. Could be very difficult to install now though. Also, adding a small amount oil (cooking is non toxic) into the drain can slow the process of evaporation as it will float on top of the water of the trap slowing down evaporation.

Participant

: How can I get rid of sewer gas emanating from : a basement drain? Our house is approx. 85 years : old. We have done extensive remodeling including : installing a second bath, but cannot rid the house of : this obnoxious odor, especially when it gets warm.: What can we do?

Participant

: : : How can I get rid of sewer gas emanating from : : a basement drain? Our house is approx. 85 years : : old. We have done extensive remodeling including : : installing a second bath, but cannot rid the house of : : this obnoxious odor, especially when it gets warm.: : What can we do?get draino

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This