High Pitched Whine in System

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing High Pitched Whine in System

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Keymaster

I live in Atlanta, GA, where we have been having a drought for the past two or three months.

For the last two weeks there has been a very loud high pitched whine in the plumbing system in our house whenever any water-using device is in operation. (Like the washing machine, dish washer, or even flushing a toilet.)

As soon as water starts flowing through the device, the loud whining noise starts. It can be heard all over the house! If you open up another device at the same time, like a water faucet in a sink, the noise immediately stops. If you then close the water faucet, the noise immediately starts back up.

All this leads me to suspect a pressure problem. But I am not sure. The drought has not seemed to have caused a drop in water pressure in general. When we are allowed to water our lawns, there still seems to be sufficient pressure to use the hoses and sprinklers. None of my neighbors have such a noise in their plumbing and they have the same pressure regulator.

I have located my pressure regulator (Watts Regulator No. 25AUB, range 25-75, set-STD.) It has a big adjusting screw on it with a lock nut, which by the way is not tightened down, but I don’t think the screw has moved.

I’m not sure if I should try adjusting the pressure regulator or not.

If improper pressure is causing this noise, is it likely that my pressure is set too HIGH or too LOW? In other words, which way should I adjust it to try to stop the noise. How many turns? I don’t have any way to hook up a pressure gauge.

If the thing is just dead, how much should I exptect to pay for a new pressure regulator, and how much labor cost to install it? (Its behind a wood panel under the kitchen sink!)

Any advice at all will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Participant

Normally a loud pitched sound is caused by excessive velocity (FPS) which is caused by excessive pressure causing a fast flow.

What I normally do is install two gauges. One before a pressure regulator and one after it so I know my pressure drop/adjustment is fine tuned.

What you are looking for is slightly less than 8 FPS on a copper tubing system on C/W and even less on hot water piping if it is a copper supply to prevent possible erosion and pitting.

Once you lower this in coming pressure and lock the nut in place you shouldn’t have any more slippage for sometime

Hey have a great 4th

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This