Cracked Shower Pan??

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Cracked Shower Pan??

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

I am a 1st time homeowner as of 7 months ago. Recently, we have been seeing the carpet wet in the closet whose wall abuts a wall of the shower stall. The shower floor is fiberglass. I had a plumber come out and he told me that I have a cracked shower pan. I have 5 questions.1.) What is a shower pan and why does it cause my shower to leak into the closet? (I looked in the drain and do not see anything resembling a pan. It looks like the drainpipe comes right up to the shower floor.)2.) Is there a possibility that the problem could be something else? I.E. How does the plumber know without seeing the source of the problem that the problem is indeed a cracked shower pan.3.)What causes a shower pan to crack?4.)Is it possible to do this work myself or do I have to shell out $1000+ that I dont have to have the pan replaced, not to mention the tile work?5.)What is best type of shower pan to get so it will not crack so easily in the future?Thanks for your time and consideration!Sincerely,Mark Deren

Participant

Not being able to find the supposed crack in my shower pan I decided to remove the drain strainer to have a closer look. Upon inspection, there was black gasket surrounding the drainpipe. this gasket appeared to be a seal between the shower floor and the pipe. Looking more closely, it appears that the gasket does not seal a portion of the gap. There is about a 1/8 opening between the OD of the pipe and the inner edge of the gasket. Could this be the source of my problem? If so, is there a sealent or something I could buy which could fill in the gap and direct the water flow only into the drainpipe?Mark Deren

Participant

I am a 1st time homeowner as of 7 months ago. Recently, we have been seeing the carpet wet in the closet whose wall abuts a wall of the shower stall. The shower floor is fiberglass. I had a plumber come out and he told me that I have a cracked shower pan. I have 5 questions.1.) What is a shower pan and why does it cause my shower to leak into the closet? (I looked in the drain and do not see anything resembling a pan. It looks like the drainpipe comes right up to the shower floor.)The shower pan is the floor of the shower. It is referred to as a pan because the shower walls shed water into the pan, which collects water for the drain. The pan has a ledge that is higher than the walls of the shower.2.) Is there a possibility that the problem could be something else? I.E. How does the plumber know without seeing the source of the problem that the problem is indeed a cracked shower pan.The problem could be the seal on the drain, rubber seals can be installed crooked, if so, I would expect the leaking to be seen on the floor below, not the floor adjacent.3.)What causes a shower pan to crack?Could have been dropped before installation, An object could have been dropped after installation.4.)Is it possible to do this work myself or do I have to shell out $1000+ that I dont have to have the pan replaced, not to mention the tile work?Yes, the work could be done by you. It may be much easier though to do what you do best and let an experienced contractor do the job for you.5.)What is best type of shower pan to get so it will not crack so easily in the future?My favorite pans are mud-set tile, cultured marble. Next I like Acrylic, then fiberglass ( brands like Mustee, Florestone) It should feel heavy.Thanks for your time and consideration!: Sincerely,: Mark Deren

Participant

I too might have a problem with a shower pan. We have a 30 year old home that the area below the shower upstairs has drips of water that develops when we use the shower. A plumber came out removed some ceiling tile in the room below the shower, ran the shower and the drip developed. He said that plumbing wise everything is okay and that we just needed to recaulk and seal the shower and our problems would be solved.I contacted someone to do this and his opionion was that we probably needed to replace the pan and that just resealing and caulking would not take care of the problem!I filled the shower with water, about 1 inch, let it sit overnight and the next morning I noticed that a drip had developed. The sealer contractor I contacted said this would tell me if the pan was good or not.Can you help me, do I need to replace the pan or should I regrout, calk, and seal.Thanks, Fred Powers, Beaverton Oregon

Participant

: I too might have a problem with a shower pan. We have a 30 year old home that the area below the shower upstairs has drips of water that develops when we use the shower. A plumber came out removed some ceiling tile in the room below the shower, ran the shower and the drip developed. He said that plumbing wise everything is okay and that we just needed to recaulk and seal the shower and our problems would be solved.: I contacted someone to do this and his opionion was that we probably needed to replace the pan and that just resealing and caulking would not take care of the problem!: I filled the shower with water, about 1 inch, let it sit overnight and the next morning I noticed that a drip had developed. The sealer contractor I contacted said this would tell me if the pan was good or not.: : Can you help me, do I need to replace the pan or should I regrout, calk, and seal.: Thanks, Fred Powers, Beaverton Oregon

Participant

: I am a 1st time homeowner as of 7 months ago. Recently, : we have been seeing the carpet wet in the closet whose : wall abuts a wall of the shower stall. The shower floor : is fiberglass. I had a plumber come out and he told me : that I have a cracked shower pan. I have 5 questions.: 1.) What is a shower pan and why does it cause my shower : to leak into the closet? (I looked in the drain and do : not see anything resembling a pan. It looks like : the drainpipe comes right up to the shower floor.): 2.) Is there a possibility that the problem could be : something else? I.E. How does the plumber know without : seeing the source of the problem that the problem is : indeed a cracked shower pan.: 3.)What causes a shower pan to crack?: 4.)Is it possible to do this work myself or do I have : to shell out $1000+ that I dont have to have the : pan replaced, not to mention the tile work?: 5.)What is best type of shower pan to get so it will : not crack so easily in the future?: Thanks for your time and consideration!: Sincerely,: Mark Deren

Participant

: : I am a 1st time homeowner as of 7 months ago. Recently, : : we have been seeing the carpet wet in the closet whose : : wall abuts a wall of the shower stall. The shower floor : : is fiberglass. I had a plumber come out and he told me : : that I have a cracked shower pan. I have 5 questions.: : 1.) What is a shower pan and why does it cause my shower : : to leak into the closet? (I looked in the drain and do : : not see anything resembling a pan. It looks like : : the drainpipe comes right up to the shower floor.): : 2.) Is there a possibility that the problem could be : : something else? I.E. How does the plumber know without : : seeing the source of the problem that the problem is : : indeed a cracked shower pan.: : 3.)What causes a shower pan to crack?: : 4.)Is it possible to do this work myself or do I have : : to shell out $1000+ that I dont have to have the : : pan replaced, not to mention the tile work?: : 5.)What is best type of shower pan to get so it will : : not crack so easily in the future?: : Thanks for your time and consideration!: : Sincerely,: : Mark Deren

Participant

: I am a 1st time homeowner as of 7 months ago. Recently, : we have been seeing the carpet wet in the closet whose : wall abuts a wall of the shower stall. The shower floor : is fiberglass. I had a plumber come out and he told me : that I have a cracked shower pan. I have 5 questions.: 1.) What is a shower pan and why does it cause my shower : to leak into the closet? (I looked in the drain and do : not see anything resembling a pan. It looks like : the drainpipe comes right up to the shower floor.): 2.) Is there a possibility that the problem could be : something else? I.E. How does the plumber know without : seeing the source of the problem that the problem is : indeed a cracked shower pan.: 3.)What causes a shower pan to crack?: 4.)Is it possible to do this work myself or do I have : to shell out $1000+ that I dont have to have the : pan replaced, not to mention the tile work?: 5.)What is best type of shower pan to get so it will : not crack so easily in the future?: Thanks for your time and consideration!: Sincerely,: Mark Deren

Participant

Participant

Another person looking for information on a leaking shower pan.

Participant

: : I am a 1st time homeowner as of 7 months ago. Recently, : : we have been seeing the carpet wet in the closet whose : : wall abuts a wall of the shower stall. The shower floor : : is fiberglass. I had a plumber come out and he told me : : that I have a cracked shower pan. I have 5 questions.: : 1.) What is a shower pan and why does it cause my shower : : to leak into the closet? (I looked in the drain and do : : not see anything resembling a pan. It looks like : : the drainpipe comes right up to the shower floor.): : 2.) Is there a possibility that the problem could be : : something else? I.E. How does the plumber know without : : seeing the source of the problem that the problem is : : indeed a cracked shower pan.: : 3.)What causes a shower pan to crack?: : 4.)Is it possible to do this work myself or do I have : : to shell out $1000+ that I dont have to have the : : pan replaced, not to mention the tile work?: : 5.)What is best type of shower pan to get so it will : : not crack so easily in the future?: : Thanks for your time and consideration!: : Sincerely,: : Mark Deren

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This