Steel to copper connection

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Steel to copper connection

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

My home has steel piping throughout the house. Im planning on installing a new water heater myself. Is there a way I can connect new copper pipe to the existing steel pipes? Also, I have a lead pipe connecting my main from the outside. Do you think there is a significant health hazards? Do most plumbing professionals suggest replacing the lead pipe?Thanks, Steve

Participant

: My home has steel piping throughout the house. : Im planning on installing a new water heater myself. : Is there a way I can connect new copper pipe to the existing : steel pipes? Also, I have a lead pipe connecting my : main from the outside. Do you think there is a significant : health hazards? Do most plumbing professionals suggest : replacing the lead pipe?: Thanks, : SteveYes, Most plumbing codes call for dielectric unions where copper meets steel.Also, I have a lead pipe connecting my main from the outside. Do you think there is a significant health hazards? Do most plumbing professionals suggest replacing the lead pipe?Lead? The plumbing industry has gotten rid of the use of lead for at least 10 years now. Lead testing kits can be bought to determine the level of lead in the water. If it were my family, the lead supply line would be gone. Regards, Terry Love

Participant

I – and most of the 30,000 homes here and probably many more fold in the Chicago area – have lead pipes for the service. (It was the only acceptable material until recently!) The pipe is so coated with minerals, no lead can leach into the water. Ive seen a removed piece and plumbing inspector also says so. So it depends on the ph of the water.Regarding the main question, besides dielectric unions – which code usually does not permit in concealed places – and using a brass nipple – there is a dielectric coupling – sometimes called insulated couplings – which can be used in concealed spaces. Finding them is tough. I bought mine through an nternet plumbing supply.Regards. Bill Conner

Participant

: My home has steel piping throughout the house. : Im planning on installing a new water heater myself. : Is there a way I can connect new copper pipe to the existing : steel pipes? Also, I have a lead pipe connecting my : main from the outside. Do you think there is a significant : health hazards? Do most plumbing professionals suggest : replacing the lead pipe?: Thanks, : Steve

Participant

: My home has steel piping throughout the house. : Im planning on installing a new water heater myself. : Is there a way I can connect new copper pipe to the existing : steel pipes? Also, I have a lead pipe connecting my : main from the outside. Do you think there is a significant : health hazards? Do most plumbing professionals suggest : replacing the lead pipe?: Thanks, : Steve

Participant

: : My home has steel piping throughout the house. : : Im planning on installing a new water heater myself. : : Is there a way I can connect new copper pipe to the existing : : steel pipes? Also, I have a lead pipe connecting my : : main from the outside. Do you think there is a significant : : health hazards? Do most plumbing professionals suggest : : replacing the lead pipe?: : Thanks, : : SteveSteve, you should have your water tested, dont rely on some plumber for so important health risk.

Participant

: : : My home has steel piping throughout the house. : : : Im planning on installing a new water heater myself. : : : Is there a way I can connect new copper pipe to the existing : : : steel pipes? Also, I have a lead pipe connecting my : : : main from the outside. Do you think there is a significant : : : health hazards? Do most plumbing professionals suggest : : : replacing the lead pipe?: : : Thanks, : : : Steve: Steve, you should have your water tested, dont rely on some plumber for so important health risk.

Participant

: : : : My home has steel piping throughout the house. : : : : Im planning on installing a new water heater myself. : : : : Is there a way I can connect new copper pipe to the existing : : : : steel pipes? Also, I have a lead pipe connecting my : : : : main from the outside. Do you think there is a significant : : : : health hazards? Do most plumbing professionals suggest : : : : replacing the lead pipe?: : : : Thanks, : : : : SteveSteve yes have the water tested an have the pipe replaced as soon as you can Lead pipes can cause health problems and brain damage this message sent from a plumber who knows the codes and cares about your families health

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This