Main WAter Line Materials

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Main WAter Line Materials

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I have received conflicting opinions as to the best material to replace the leaking, well known POLY pipe which is our main house line from the street. I do have a claim in and have been told by the plumbing contractor I have used for some time that all he would recommend was copper. I have had two other plumbers recommend the current soft or hard PVC piping to replace the 700-750 feet from street. I know this is controversial, but hate to spend for the copper if the new PVC will be adequate. Thanks Dobieone

Participant

: I have received conflicting opinions as to the best material to replace the leaking, well known POLY pipe which is our main house line from the street. I do have a claim in and have been told by the plumbing contractor I have used for some time that all he would recommend was copper. I have had two other plumbers recommend the current soft or hard PVC piping to replace the 700-750 feet from street. I know this is controversial, but hate to spend for the copper if the new PVC will be adequate. Thanks DobieoneI would go with the schedule 40 PVC piping if you are going to have that long a water service. Anything over 150 feet I like to size up because of the friction loss. I would use a 1-1/2 line. best regards, Terry Love

Participant

: I have received conflicting opinions as to the best material to replace the leaking, well known POLY pipe which is our main house line from the street. I do have a claim in and have been told by the plumbing contractor I have used for some time that all he would recommend was copper. I have had two other plumbers recommend the current soft or hard PVC piping to replace the 700-750 feet from street. I know this is controversial, but hate to spend for the copper if the new PVC will be adequate. Thanks DobieoneDavid, I have looked at the comments made by Terry and consider them to be good information well reserched and considered. I do not know i you have any problen with the soil or water quality whee you live but from my point of view if the answer was negative to the two issues just mentioned then I would usse copper. It is durable and ling lasting in the right conditions. I have been in the plumbing industry for over forty years now and have installed a lot of copper and have had good results over and over again. There is the question of the person who install the pipe, it is a little more difficult to work with than the newer materials which fit in under the umbrella of plastic. Biting the bullet and from my point of view if it was my home I would use copper. Regards Colin

Participant

To Colin and Terry: Thanks much for your expertise. I would note to Colin that our soil here in Georgia is extremely acid and may harm copper in the long run. For that reason all but one of my consultants has recommended Schedule 40 PVC as Terry has confirmed. Since this involves a long run both in piping and in money, I have sought as many opinions as possible. Thanks Again

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This