Bathtub faucet leak

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Bathtub faucet leak

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I have a faucet in the bathtub that contantly leaks at a slow pace no matter how tight i turn the knobs. I take out each of the handle mechanisms inside and replace the flat circle ring that appears to shut off the water when turned tight. The problem, I still have a leak that seems to be getting gradually larger (still not major, but a major pain!) What else could be the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.John

: : : I have a faucet in the bathtub that contantly leaks at : : a slow pace no matter how tight i turn the knobs. I : : take out each of the handle mechanisms inside and replace : : the flat circle ring that appears to shut off the water : : when turned tight. The problem, I still have a leak that : : seems to be getting gradually larger (still not major, : : but a major pain!) What else could be the problem? Any : : help would be greatly appreciated.: : John: John, : you may need to replace the valve seats. This is the part that the rubber washer presses against to seal off the water. They wear out also. : Regards, : Terry LoveI have a similar problem – but with a different twist – the fixture is circa 1940s, apparently made by Speakman plumbing of Wilmington, DE. The setup is tub only, no shower; the spout is centered between the two faucet handles. I have been told that there hasnt been a similar setup made in 30+ years, and the only alternative is to replace the whole thing with a tub shower combo – which means tearing out a tub surround and plaster wall! Any suggestions? Are there standard replacement seats that might fit, or can the old seats be reground?Thanks in advance,Joe Allmond

: I have a faucet in the bathtub that contantly leaks at : a slow pace no matter how tight i turn the knobs. I : take out each of the handle mechanisms inside and replace : the flat circle ring that appears to shut off the water : when turned tight. The problem, I still have a leak that : seems to be getting gradually larger (still not major, : but a major pain!) What else could be the problem? Any : help would be greatly appreciated.: JohnJohn, you may need to replace the valve seats. This is the part that the rubber washer presses against to seal off the water. They wear out also. Regards, Terry Love

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This