Plumbing standards-HELP!!!!

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Plumbing standards-HELP!!!!

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 27 years ago by Avatar photoWD.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Have 4 1/2 year old executive class house. Have an island in the kitchen with NO WATER (official) OUTLETS. There is a exhaust fan return to the outside which goes into the slab. Last week water came up through the exhaust hole from under the island and flooded the kitchen and 1/3 of the downstairs rooms. Turned off the water to the house and the flood stopped.Is it standard for hot water to run under the slab. The solution by the builderplumber was to bypass the section under the slab by cutting holes in the kitchen wall and bathroom wall (other side of the kitchen) and connecting the bypass thorugh the attic (two story).1. Is it normal to have a joint problem this early in the life of a house? 2. Is this bypass method normalstandard? 3. Who do I contact to determine if the fix is standard and if it will hold up.April 9, 1997 8:24 pm

Participant

: Have 4 1/2 year old executive class house. : Have an island in the kitchen with NO WATER (official) OUTLETS. : There is a exhaust fan return to the outside which goes into the slab. : Last week water came up through the exhaust hole from under the : island and flooded the kitchen and 1/3 of the downstairs rooms. : Turned off the water to the house and the flood stopped.: Is it standard for hot water to run under the slab. : The solution by the builderplumber was to bypass the : section under the slab by cutting holes in the kitchen wall and : bathroom wall (other side of the kitchen) and connecting the : bypass thorugh the attic (two story).: 1. Is it normal to have a joint problem this early in the life of a house? : 2. Is this bypass method normalstandard? : 3. Who do I contact to determine if the fix is standard and if it : will hold up.: April 9, 1997 8:24 pm WD, 1. Is it normal to have a joint problem this early in the life of a house? Homes with slabs often have hot & cold pipes below the slab. No, it is not normal to have a leak so soon. Problems below the slab can be from many things. With as many sub contractors that work on a home, it would be hard to guess where fault would lie.2. Is this bypass method normalstandard? The bypass method, considering the home is built on a concrete slab is normal. 3. Who do I contact to determine if the fix is standard and if it will hold up. My guess would be that the fix is standard, and will hold up. Normal life of piping is 30 or more years, depending on the material used and the water in the area. Regards, Terry Love

Participant

: Have 4 1/2 year old executive class house. : Have an island in the kitchen with NO WATER (official) OUTLETS. : There is a exhaust fan return to the outside which goes into the slab. : Last week water came up through the exhaust hole from under the : island and flooded the kitchen and 1/3 of the downstairs rooms. : Turned off the water to the house and the flood stopped.: Is it standard for hot water to run under the slab. : The solution by the builderplumber was to bypass the : section under the slab by cutting holes in the kitchen wall and : bathroom wall (other side of the kitchen) and connecting the : bypass thorugh the attic (two story).: 1. Is it normal to have a joint problem this early in the life of a house? : 2. Is this bypass method normalstandard? : 3. Who do I contact to determine if the fix is standard and if it : will hold up.: April 9, 1997 8:24 pm WD, 1. Is it normal to have a joint problem this early in the life of a house? Homes with slabs often have hot & cold pipes below the slab. No, it is not normal to have a leak so soon. Problems below the slab can be from many things. With as many sub contractors that work on a home, it would be hard to guess where fault would lie.2. Is this bypass method normalstandard? The bypass method, considering the home is built on a concrete slab is normal. 3. Who do I contact to determine if the fix is standard and if it will hold up. My guess would be that the fix is standard, and will hold up. Normal life of piping is 30 or more years, depending on the material used and the water in the area. Regards, Terry Love

Participant

When tying in a 2 inch shower drain into a 3 inch waste line, which is the right way, (Y) in from above the 3 inch or (Y) in from the side. This is new construction, and I want to make sure the guy thats doing the plumbing is following code since this is outside the city limits. Thanks a lot!

Participant

When tying in a 2 inch shower drain into a 3 inch waste line, which is the right way, (Y) in from above the 3 inch or (Y) in from the side. This is new construction, and I want to make sure the guy thats doing the plumbing is following code since this is outside the city limits. Thanks a lot!

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This