Shower Stall Floor

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Shower Stall Floor

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

I am building a shower stall in a new addition which will have a ceramic tile floor. I need to find out what the material(s) under the tile needs to be and what thicknesses they need to be. I presently have 3/4 T & G OSB over 2×8 lumber at 16 OC in place and nothing else. I am an amateur on my first try and would greatly appreciate any insight you could provide me on this one. Thank You

Participant

: I am building a shower stall in a new addition which : will have a ceramic tile floor. I need to find out : what the material(s) under the tile needs to be and : what thicknesses they need to be. I presently have 3/4 : T & G OSB over 2×8 lumber at 16 OC in place and : nothing else. I am an amateur on my first try and would : greatly appreciate any insight you could provide me on : this one. : Thank You J.Partee, A ceramic tile shower base requires what is called a mud set pan. The first step is to pick up a bolt down shower drain. Next a PVC shower pan liner laid onto the floor of the pan and up the walls, 18, and over the threshold of 2x4s, three laid flat, 4-1/2 high. Wonder board is installed over the PVC liner. Then the mortar is mixed 5 parts sand to 1 part cement, sloped to the drain, making allowance for the thickness of the tile you are using. Regards, Terry Love

Participant

: I am building a shower stall in a new addition which : will have a ceramic tile floor. I need to find out : what the material(s) under the tile needs to be and : what thicknesses they need to be. I presently have 3/4 : T & G OSB over 2×8 lumber at 16 OC in place and : nothing else. I am an amateur on my first try and would : greatly appreciate any insight you could provide me on : this one. : Thank You J.Partee, A ceramic tile shower base requires what is called a mud set pan. The first step is to pick up a bolt down shower drain. Next a PVC shower pan liner laid onto the floor of the pan and up the walls, 18, and over the threshold of 2x4s, three laid flat, 4-1/2 high. Wonder board is installed over the PVC liner. Then the mortar is mixed 5 parts sand to 1 part cement, sloped to the drain, making allowance for the thickness of the tile you are using. Regards, Terry Love

Participant

: : : I am building a shower stall in a new addition which : : will have a ceramic tile floor. I need to find out : : what the material(s) under the tile needs to be and : : what thicknesses they need to be. I presently have 3/4 : : T & G OSB over 2×8 lumber at 16 OC in place and : : nothing else. I am an amateur on my first try and would : : greatly appreciate any insight you could provide me on : : this one. : : Thank You : J.Partee, : A ceramic tile shower base requires what is called a mud set pan. The first step is to pick up a bolt down shower drain. Next a PVC shower pan liner laid onto the floor of the pan and up the walls, 18, and over the threshold of 2x4s, three laid flat, 4-1/2 high. Wonder board is installed over the PVC liner. Then the mortar is mixed 5 parts sand to 1 part cement, sloped to the drain, making allowance for the thickness of the tile you are using. : Regards, : Terry LoveThanks for this explanation. It got me interested in a leak I just found. My 2nd story shower in a 30 yr old house has a tile floor. The floor settled 1/2 or so and Im assuming the leak Im seeing in the room below is a crack in the mud based pan if thats what the pan really is. Ive checked the pipes and the drain for leaks and they seem ok. Im thinking of taking up the tile, but Im uncertain as to a new installation that wont require future repairs. (Beneath the subfloor and adjacent to the plumbing is electrical.) The pre-made shower pans Ive seen are standard sizes but for rubber ones at Home Depot that require a pigs ear installation in the corners. Could you tell me about these various installations and how to approach and solve this problem. (I have thought about a custom made pan of stainless or whatever to ensure a waterproof installation for this nearly square-sided shower but cant even find someone to make one.) Thanks again.

Participant

: : : I am building a shower stall in a new addition which : : will have a ceramic tile floor. I need to find out : : what the material(s) under the tile needs to be and : : what thicknesses they need to be. I presently have 3/4 : : T & G OSB over 2×8 lumber at 16 OC in place and : : nothing else. I am an amateur on my first try and would : : greatly appreciate any insight you could provide me on : : this one. : : Thank You : J.Partee, : A ceramic tile shower base requires what is called a mud set pan. The first step is to pick up a bolt down shower drain. Next a PVC shower pan liner laid onto the floor of the pan and up the walls, 18, and over the threshold of 2x4s, three laid flat, 4-1/2 high. Wonder board is installed over the PVC liner. Then the mortar is mixed 5 parts sand to 1 part cement, sloped to the drain, making allowance for the thickness of the tile you are using. : Regards, : Terry LoveThanks for this explanation. It got me interested in a leak I just found. My 2nd story shower in a 30 yr old house has a tile floor. The floor settled 1/2 or so and Im assuming the leak Im seeing in the room below is a crack in the mud based pan if thats what the pan really is. Ive checked the pipes and the drain for leaks and they seem ok. Im thinking of taking up the tile, but Im uncertain as to a new installation that wont require future repairs. (Beneath the subfloor and adjacent to the plumbing is electrical.) The pre-made shower pans Ive seen are standard sizes but for rubber ones at Home Depot that require a pigs ear installation in the corners. Could you tell me about these various installations and how to approach and solve this problem. (I have thought about a custom made pan of stainless or whatever to ensure a waterproof installation for this nearly square-sided shower but cant even find someone to make one.) Thanks again.

Participant

: I am building a shower stall in a new addition which : will have a ceramic tile floor. I need to find out : what the material(s) under the tile needs to be and : what thicknesses they need to be. I presently have 3/4 : T & G OSB over 2×8 lumber at 16 OC in place and : nothing else. I am an amateur on my first try and would : greatly appreciate any insight you could provide me on : this one. : Thank You

Participant

: I am building a shower stall in a new addition which : will have a ceramic tile floor. I need to find out : what the material(s) under the tile needs to be and : what thicknesses they need to be. I presently have 3/4 : T & G OSB over 2×8 lumber at 16 OC in place and : nothing else. I am an amateur on my first try and would : greatly appreciate any insight you could provide me on : this one. : Thank You

Participant

Participant

Participant

I am working on installing shower in basement. Would like to have ceramic floor and walls. You mention putting cement board over the pan liner. How do you secure the cement board. I would think that you do not want to screw or nail through the liner. : :

Participant

I am working on installing shower in basement. Would like to have ceramic floor and walls. You mention putting cement board over the pan liner. How do you secure the cement board. I would think that you do not want to screw or nail through the liner. : :

Participant

I want to thank you also because I am getting ready to remove a tub and build a ceramic shower in its place so i will follow through the responses that you gave afterwards. Can I ask follow up questions?

Participant

I want to thank you also because I am getting ready to remove a tub and build a ceramic shower in its place so i will follow through the responses that you gave afterwards. Can I ask follow up questions?

Participant

: : : : : I am building a shower stall in a new addition which : : : will have a ceramic tile floor. I need to find out : : : what the material(s) under the tile needs to be and : : : what thicknesses they need to be. I presently have 3/4 : : : T & G OSB over 2×8 lumber at 16 OC in place and : : : nothing else. I am an amateur on my first try and would : : : greatly appreciate any insight you could provide me on : : : this one. : : : Thank You : : J.Partee, : : A ceramic tile shower base requires what is called a mud set pan. The first step is to pick up a bolt down shower drain. Next a PVC shower pan liner laid onto the floor of the pan and up the walls, 18, and over the threshold of 2x4s, three laid flat, 4-1/2 high. Wonder board is installed over the PVC liner. Then the mortar is mixed 5 parts sand to 1 part cement, sloped to the drain, making allowance for the thickness of the tile you are using. : : Regards, : : Terry Love: Thanks for this explanation. It got me interested in a leak I just found. My 2nd story shower in a 30 yr old house has a tile floor. The floor settled 1/2 or so and Im assuming the leak Im seeing in the room below is a crack in the mud based pan if thats what the pan really is. Ive checked the pipes and the drain for leaks and they seem ok. Im thinking of taking up the tile, but Im uncertain as to a new installation that wont require future repairs. (Beneath the subfloor and adjacent to the plumbing is electrical.) The pre-made shower pans Ive seen are standard sizes but for rubber ones at Home Depot that require a pigs ear installation in the corners. Could you tell me about these various installations and how to approach and solve this problem. (I have thought about a custom made pan of stainless or whatever to ensure a waterproof installation for this nearly square-sided shower but cant even find someone to make one.) Thanks again. This is a Great Web site, whoever you are. I have a simular question to the original shower floor installation question. Our home in Edmonton, Alberta is 12 yrs old with a roughed-in ensuite shower, never finished by the builder. It is drywalled and plumbed. I have no concerns about doing the wall tile. The floor has the PVC liner and the bolt-down drain. The question, what is wonderboard? Can I apply thinset cement directly to the pvc and build up (to include slope)the cement as required?

Participant

: : : : : I am building a shower stall in a new addition which : : : will have a ceramic tile floor. I need to find out : : : what the material(s) under the tile needs to be and : : : what thicknesses they need to be. I presently have 3/4 : : : T & G OSB over 2×8 lumber at 16 OC in place and : : : nothing else. I am an amateur on my first try and would : : : greatly appreciate any insight you could provide me on : : : this one. : : : Thank You : : J.Partee, : : A ceramic tile shower base requires what is called a mud set pan. The first step is to pick up a bolt down shower drain. Next a PVC shower pan liner laid onto the floor of the pan and up the walls, 18, and over the threshold of 2x4s, three laid flat, 4-1/2 high. Wonder board is installed over the PVC liner. Then the mortar is mixed 5 parts sand to 1 part cement, sloped to the drain, making allowance for the thickness of the tile you are using. : : Regards, : : Terry Love: Thanks for this explanation. It got me interested in a leak I just found. My 2nd story shower in a 30 yr old house has a tile floor. The floor settled 1/2 or so and Im assuming the leak Im seeing in the room below is a crack in the mud based pan if thats what the pan really is. Ive checked the pipes and the drain for leaks and they seem ok. Im thinking of taking up the tile, but Im uncertain as to a new installation that wont require future repairs. (Beneath the subfloor and adjacent to the plumbing is electrical.) The pre-made shower pans Ive seen are standard sizes but for rubber ones at Home Depot that require a pigs ear installation in the corners. Could you tell me about these various installations and how to approach and solve this problem. (I have thought about a custom made pan of stainless or whatever to ensure a waterproof installation for this nearly square-sided shower but cant even find someone to make one.) Thanks again. This is a Great Web site, whoever you are. I have a simular question to the original shower floor installation question. Our home in Edmonton, Alberta is 12 yrs old with a roughed-in ensuite shower, never finished by the builder. It is drywalled and plumbed. I have no concerns about doing the wall tile. The floor has the PVC liner and the bolt-down drain. The question, what is wonderboard? Can I apply thinset cement directly to the pvc and build up (to include slope)the cement as required?

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This