Sewer Gas

Viewing 40 reply threads
  • Author

I would like to know if the venting is not done in a home: 1) Is there a possibility of sewer gas backing up into the home? 2) Is sewer gas harmful to humans? 3) What does venting involve ?

Participant

: I would like to know if the venting is not done in a home: : 1) Is there a possibility of sewer gas backing up into the home? : 2) Is sewer gas harmful to humans? : 3) What does venting involve ?Beverly,Q.What is a vent, and what does it do for the plumbing system?A. If you look on your roof, you will see pipes sticking out of the roof aprox 12 high. �For every pipe that goes down, one needs to go up. �The obvious reason we have vents is that sewer gases need to be vented outside of the dwelling. �Not so obvious is what happens if they are not included in the waste and vent design. �Imagine yourself at McDonalds drinking a soda from a straw. �If you put your thumb over the straw, you can pull liquid up from the cup. Remove the thumb and see it instantly drain out! �When liquid goes down a pipe, air needs to follow it. �Without the vent pipe, the draining liquid will try to suck air through the P-traps on the plumbing fixtures,(tub, sink, etc.) glurp, glurp! �If it manages to do so, you may know it from the smell coming from the now dry seal on the P-trap. Without vents, draining one fixture may cause another fixture in the house to back up, yuck! A waste and vent system should keep sewer gas out of the dwelling and drain every fixture well. �Note: As for the danger, it depends on what people are putting down the drains in your local area. Sewer workers have come across meth and PCP labs that are using the public sewers. For the most part though, I dont worry about the occasional danger when I do remodel work because the venting should let most of the gas go up the stacks. Regards, Terry Love

Participant

: I would like to know if the venting is not done in a home: : 1) Is there a possibility of sewer gas backing up into the home? : 2) Is sewer gas harmful to humans? : 3) What does venting involve ?Beverly,Q.What is a vent, and what does it do for the plumbing system?A. If you look on your roof, you will see pipes sticking out of the roof aprox 12 high. �For every pipe that goes down, one needs to go up. �The obvious reason we have vents is that sewer gases need to be vented outside of the dwelling. �Not so obvious is what happens if they are not included in the waste and vent design. �Imagine yourself at McDonalds drinking a soda from a straw. �If you put your thumb over the straw, you can pull liquid up from the cup. Remove the thumb and see it instantly drain out! �When liquid goes down a pipe, air needs to follow it. �Without the vent pipe, the draining liquid will try to suck air through the P-traps on the plumbing fixtures,(tub, sink, etc.) glurp, glurp! �If it manages to do so, you may know it from the smell coming from the now dry seal on the P-trap. Without vents, draining one fixture may cause another fixture in the house to back up, yuck! A waste and vent system should keep sewer gas out of the dwelling and drain every fixture well. �Note: As for the danger, it depends on what people are putting down the drains in your local area. Sewer workers have come across meth and PCP labs that are using the public sewers. For the most part though, I dont worry about the occasional danger when I do remodel work because the venting should let most of the gas go up the stacks. Regards, Terry Love

Participant

: I would like to know if the venting is not done in a home: : 1) Is there a possibility of sewer gas backing up into the home? : 2) Is sewer gas harmful to humans? : 3) What does venting involve ?

Participant

: I would like to know if the venting is not done in a home: : 1) Is there a possibility of sewer gas backing up into the home? : 2) Is sewer gas harmful to humans? : 3) What does venting involve ?

Participant

: : : I would like to know if the venting is not done in a home: : : 1) Is there a possibility of sewer gas backing up into the home? : : 2) Is sewer gas harmful to humans? : : 3) What does venting involve ?: Beverly,: Q.What is a vent, and what does it do for the plumbing system?: A. If you look on your roof, you will see pipes sticking out of the roof aprox 12 high. �For every pipe that goes down, one needs to go up. �The obvious reason we have vents is that sewer gases need to be vented outside of the dwelling. �Not so obvious is what happens if they are not included in the waste and vent design. �Imagine yourself at McDonalds drinking a soda from a straw. �If you put your thumb over the straw, you can pull liquid up from the cup. Remove the thumb and see it instantly drain out! �When liquid goes down a pipe, air needs to follow it. �Without the vent pipe, the draining liquid will try to suck air through the P-traps on the plumbing fixtures,(tub, sink, etc.) glurp, glurp! �If it manages to do so, you may know it from the smell coming from the now dry seal on the P-trap. Without vents, draining one fixture may cause another fixture in the house to back up, yuck! A waste and vent system should keep sewer gas out of the dwelling and drain every fixture well. �: Note: : As for the danger, it depends on what people are putting down the drains in your local area. Sewer workers have come across meth and PCP labs that are using the public sewers. For the most part though, I dont worry about the occasional danger when I do remodel work because the venting should let most of the gas go up the stacks. : Regards, : Terry Love

Participant

: : : I would like to know if the venting is not done in a home: : : 1) Is there a possibility of sewer gas backing up into the home? : : 2) Is sewer gas harmful to humans? : : 3) What does venting involve ?: Beverly,: Q.What is a vent, and what does it do for the plumbing system?: A. If you look on your roof, you will see pipes sticking out of the roof aprox 12 high. �For every pipe that goes down, one needs to go up. �The obvious reason we have vents is that sewer gases need to be vented outside of the dwelling. �Not so obvious is what happens if they are not included in the waste and vent design. �Imagine yourself at McDonalds drinking a soda from a straw. �If you put your thumb over the straw, you can pull liquid up from the cup. Remove the thumb and see it instantly drain out! �When liquid goes down a pipe, air needs to follow it. �Without the vent pipe, the draining liquid will try to suck air through the P-traps on the plumbing fixtures,(tub, sink, etc.) glurp, glurp! �If it manages to do so, you may know it from the smell coming from the now dry seal on the P-trap. Without vents, draining one fixture may cause another fixture in the house to back up, yuck! A waste and vent system should keep sewer gas out of the dwelling and drain every fixture well. �: Note: : As for the danger, it depends on what people are putting down the drains in your local area. Sewer workers have come across meth and PCP labs that are using the public sewers. For the most part though, I dont worry about the occasional danger when I do remodel work because the venting should let most of the gas go up the stacks. : Regards, : Terry Love

Participant

Participant

Participant

Participant

Participant

Participant

Participant

: : I would like to know if the venting is not done in a home: : : 1) Is there a possibility of sewer gas backing up into the home? : : 2) Is sewer gas harmful to humans? : : 3) What does venting involve ?

Participant

: : I would like to know if the venting is not done in a home: : : 1) Is there a possibility of sewer gas backing up into the home? : : 2) Is sewer gas harmful to humans? : : 3) What does venting involve ?

Participant

: : : : : I would like to know if the venting is not done in a home: : : : 1) Is there a possibility of sewer gas backing up into the home? : : : 2) Is sewer gas harmful to humans? : : : 3) What does venting involve ?: : Beverly,: : Q.What is a vent, and what does it do for the plumbing system?: : A. If you look on your roof, you will see pipes sticking out of the roof aprox 12 high. �For every pipe that goes down, one needs to go up. �The obvious reason we have vents is that sewer gases need to be vented outside of the dwelling. �Not so obvious is what happens if they are not included in the waste and vent design. �Imagine yourself at McDonalds drinking a soda from a straw. �If you put your thumb over the straw, you can pull liquid up from the cup. Remove the thumb and see it instantly drain out! �When liquid goes down a pipe, air needs to follow it. �Without the vent pipe, the draining liquid will try to suck air through the P-traps on the plumbing fixtures,(tub, sink, etc.) glurp, glurp! �If it manages to do so, you may know it from the smell coming from the now dry seal on the P-trap. Without vents, draining one fixture may cause another fixture in the house to back up, yuck! A waste and vent system should keep sewer gas out of the dwelling and drain every fixture well. �: : Note: : : As for the danger, it depends on what people are putting down the drains in your local area. Sewer workers have come across meth and PCP labs that are using the public sewers. For the most part though, I dont worry about the occasional danger when I do remodel work because the venting should let most of the gas go up the stacks. : : Regards, : : Terry LoveHow do you know if the vent is blocked somewhere in the house. I have a drainage backup, liquid plumber and a 15 foot snake wont do it, any suggestions?

Participant

: : : : : I would like to know if the venting is not done in a home: : : : 1) Is there a possibility of sewer gas backing up into the home? : : : 2) Is sewer gas harmful to humans? : : : 3) What does venting involve ?: : Beverly,: : Q.What is a vent, and what does it do for the plumbing system?: : A. If you look on your roof, you will see pipes sticking out of the roof aprox 12 high. �For every pipe that goes down, one needs to go up. �The obvious reason we have vents is that sewer gases need to be vented outside of the dwelling. �Not so obvious is what happens if they are not included in the waste and vent design. �Imagine yourself at McDonalds drinking a soda from a straw. �If you put your thumb over the straw, you can pull liquid up from the cup. Remove the thumb and see it instantly drain out! �When liquid goes down a pipe, air needs to follow it. �Without the vent pipe, the draining liquid will try to suck air through the P-traps on the plumbing fixtures,(tub, sink, etc.) glurp, glurp! �If it manages to do so, you may know it from the smell coming from the now dry seal on the P-trap. Without vents, draining one fixture may cause another fixture in the house to back up, yuck! A waste and vent system should keep sewer gas out of the dwelling and drain every fixture well. �: : Note: : : As for the danger, it depends on what people are putting down the drains in your local area. Sewer workers have come across meth and PCP labs that are using the public sewers. For the most part though, I dont worry about the occasional danger when I do remodel work because the venting should let most of the gas go up the stacks. : : Regards, : : Terry LoveHow do you know if the vent is blocked somewhere in the house. I have a drainage backup, liquid plumber and a 15 foot snake wont do it, any suggestions?

Participant

Participant

Participant

Participant

Participant

: : : : : I would like to know if the venting is not done in a home: : : : 1) Is there a possibility of sewer gas backing up into the home? : : : 2) Is sewer gas harmful to humans? : : : 3) What does venting involve ? i : : Beverly,: : Q.What is a vent, and what does it do for the plumbing system?: : A. If you look on your roof, you will see pipes sticking out of the roof aprox 12 high. �For every pipe that goes down, one needs to go up. �The obvious reason we have vents is that sewer gases need to be vented outside of the dwelling. �Not so obvious is what happens if they are not included in the waste and vent design. �Imagine yourself at McDonalds drinking a soda from a straw. �If you put your thumb over the straw, you can pull liquid up from the cup. Remove the thumb and see it instantly drain out! �When liquid goes down a pipe, air needs to follow it. �Without the vent pipe, the draining liquid will try to suck air through the P-traps on the plumbing fixtures,(tub, sink, etc.) glurp, glurp! �If it manages to do so, you may know it from the smell coming from the now dry seal on the P-trap. Without vents, draining one fixture may cause another fixture in the house to back up, yuck! A waste and vent system should keep sewer gas out of the dwelling and drain every fixture well. �: : Note: : : As for the danger, it depends on what people are putting down the drains in your local area. Sewer workers have come across meth and PCP labs that are using the public sewers. For the most part though, I dont worry about the occasional danger when I do remodel work because the venting should let most of the gas go up the stacks. : : Regards, : : Terry Love If everytime you take a shower and you get odor from your toilet is that gas?If so how do you get the odor to go away?please help

Participant

: : : : : I would like to know if the venting is not done in a home: : : : 1) Is there a possibility of sewer gas backing up into the home? : : : 2) Is sewer gas harmful to humans? : : : 3) What does venting involve ? i : : Beverly,: : Q.What is a vent, and what does it do for the plumbing system?: : A. If you look on your roof, you will see pipes sticking out of the roof aprox 12 high. �For every pipe that goes down, one needs to go up. �The obvious reason we have vents is that sewer gases need to be vented outside of the dwelling. �Not so obvious is what happens if they are not included in the waste and vent design. �Imagine yourself at McDonalds drinking a soda from a straw. �If you put your thumb over the straw, you can pull liquid up from the cup. Remove the thumb and see it instantly drain out! �When liquid goes down a pipe, air needs to follow it. �Without the vent pipe, the draining liquid will try to suck air through the P-traps on the plumbing fixtures,(tub, sink, etc.) glurp, glurp! �If it manages to do so, you may know it from the smell coming from the now dry seal on the P-trap. Without vents, draining one fixture may cause another fixture in the house to back up, yuck! A waste and vent system should keep sewer gas out of the dwelling and drain every fixture well. �: : Note: : : As for the danger, it depends on what people are putting down the drains in your local area. Sewer workers have come across meth and PCP labs that are using the public sewers. For the most part though, I dont worry about the occasional danger when I do remodel work because the venting should let most of the gas go up the stacks. : : Regards, : : Terry Love If everytime you take a shower and you get odor from your toilet is that gas?If so how do you get the odor to go away?please help

Participant

Avatar photoBeverly Propes
                                                      Participant

Participant

: : : : : : : : I would like to know if the venting is not done in a home: : : : : 1) Is there a possibility of sewer gas backing up into the home? : : : : 2) Is sewer gas harmful to humans? : : : : 3) What does venting involve ? : i : : : Beverly,: : : Q.What is a vent, and what does it do for the plumbing system?: : : A. If you look on your roof, you will see pipes sticking out of the roof aprox 12 high. �For every pipe that goes down, one needs to go up. �The obvious reason we have vents is that sewer gases need to be vented outside of the dwelling. �Not so obvious is what happens if they are not included in the waste and vent design. �Imagine yourself at McDonalds drinking a soda from a straw. �If you put your thumb over the straw, you can pull liquid up from the cup. Remove the thumb and see it instantly drain out! �When liquid goes down a pipe, air needs to follow it. �Without the vent pipe, the draining liquid will try to suck air through the P-traps on the plumbing fixtures,(tub, sink, etc.) glurp, glurp! �If it manages to do so, you may know it from the smell coming from the now dry seal on the P-trap. Without vents, draining one fixture may cause another fixture in the house to back up, yuck! A waste and vent system should keep sewer gas out of the dwelling and drain every fixture well. �: : : Note: : : : As for the danger, it depends on what people are putting down the drains in your local area. Sewer workers have come across meth and PCP labs that are using the public sewers. For the most part though, I dont worry about the occasional danger when I do remodel work because the venting should let most of the gas go up the stacks. : : : Regards, : : : Terry Love : If everytime you take a shower and you get odor from : your toilet is that gas?: If so how do you get the odor to go away?please helpHELP There is an odor coming from the pipes in my basement every time I run water in the kitchen sink and the wash tub in the basement. I have determined where it is coming from. How do I seal the seams in the pipe without redoing the plumbing?

Participant

: : : : : : : : I would like to know if the venting is not done in a home: : : : : 1) Is there a possibility of sewer gas backing up into the home? : : : : 2) Is sewer gas harmful to humans? : : : : 3) What does venting involve ? : i : : : Beverly,: : : Q.What is a vent, and what does it do for the plumbing system?: : : A. If you look on your roof, you will see pipes sticking out of the roof aprox 12 high. �For every pipe that goes down, one needs to go up. �The obvious reason we have vents is that sewer gases need to be vented outside of the dwelling. �Not so obvious is what happens if they are not included in the waste and vent design. �Imagine yourself at McDonalds drinking a soda from a straw. �If you put your thumb over the straw, you can pull liquid up from the cup. Remove the thumb and see it instantly drain out! �When liquid goes down a pipe, air needs to follow it. �Without the vent pipe, the draining liquid will try to suck air through the P-traps on the plumbing fixtures,(tub, sink, etc.) glurp, glurp! �If it manages to do so, you may know it from the smell coming from the now dry seal on the P-trap. Without vents, draining one fixture may cause another fixture in the house to back up, yuck! A waste and vent system should keep sewer gas out of the dwelling and drain every fixture well. �: : : Note: : : : As for the danger, it depends on what people are putting down the drains in your local area. Sewer workers have come across meth and PCP labs that are using the public sewers. For the most part though, I dont worry about the occasional danger when I do remodel work because the venting should let most of the gas go up the stacks. : : : Regards, : : : Terry Love : If everytime you take a shower and you get odor from : your toilet is that gas?: If so how do you get the odor to go away?please helpHELP There is an odor coming from the pipes in my basement every time I run water in the kitchen sink and the wash tub in the basement. I have determined where it is coming from. How do I seal the seams in the pipe without redoing the plumbing?

Participant

Participant

Participant

Participant

Participant

Participant

Participant

: : : I would like to know if the venting is not done in a home: : : : 1) Is there a possibility of sewer gas backing up into the home? : : : 2) Is sewer gas harmful to humans? : : : 3) What does venting involve ?

• #309306
                                                                          Participant

: : : I would like to know if the venting is not done in a home: : : : 1) Is there a possibility of sewer gas backing up into the home? : : : 2) Is sewer gas harmful to humans? : : : 3) What does venting involve ?

• #309364
                                                                            Participant

: : : I would like to know if the venting is not done in a home: : : 1) Is there a possibility of sewer gas backing up into the home? : : 2) Is sewer gas harmful to humans? : : 3) What does venting involve ?: Beverly,: Q.What is a vent, and what does it do for the plumbing system?: A. If you look on your roof, you will see pipes sticking out of the roof aprox 12 high. �For every pipe that goes down, one needs to go up. �The obvious reason we have vents is that sewer gases need to be vented outside of the dwelling. �Not so obvious is what happens if they are not included in the waste and vent design. �Imagine yourself at McDonalds drinking a soda from a straw. �If you put your thumb over the straw, you can pull liquid up from the cup. Remove the thumb and see it instantly drain out! �When liquid goes down a pipe, air needs to follow it. �Without the vent pipe, the draining liquid will try to suck air through the P-traps on the plumbing fixtures,(tub, sink, etc.) glurp, glurp! �If it manages to do so, you may know it from the smell coming from the now dry seal on the P-trap. Without vents, draining one fixture may cause another fixture in the house to back up, yuck! A waste and vent system should keep sewer gas out of the dwelling and drain every fixture well. �: Note: : As for the danger, it depends on what people are putting down the drains in your local area. Sewer workers have come across meth and PCP labs that are using the public sewers. For the most part though, I dont worry about the occasional danger when I do remodel work because the venting should let most of the gas go up the stacks. : Regards, : Terry LoveWhat is one to do if Studer venting has been installed in the lavs and the sewage odor remains?

• #309365
                                                                              Participant

: : : I would like to know if the venting is not done in a home: : : 1) Is there a possibility of sewer gas backing up into the home? : : 2) Is sewer gas harmful to humans? : : 3) What does venting involve ?: Beverly,: Q.What is a vent, and what does it do for the plumbing system?: A. If you look on your roof, you will see pipes sticking out of the roof aprox 12 high. �For every pipe that goes down, one needs to go up. �The obvious reason we have vents is that sewer gases need to be vented outside of the dwelling. �Not so obvious is what happens if they are not included in the waste and vent design. �Imagine yourself at McDonalds drinking a soda from a straw. �If you put your thumb over the straw, you can pull liquid up from the cup. Remove the thumb and see it instantly drain out! �When liquid goes down a pipe, air needs to follow it. �Without the vent pipe, the draining liquid will try to suck air through the P-traps on the plumbing fixtures,(tub, sink, etc.) glurp, glurp! �If it manages to do so, you may know it from the smell coming from the now dry seal on the P-trap. Without vents, draining one fixture may cause another fixture in the house to back up, yuck! A waste and vent system should keep sewer gas out of the dwelling and drain every fixture well. �: Note: : As for the danger, it depends on what people are putting down the drains in your local area. Sewer workers have come across meth and PCP labs that are using the public sewers. For the most part though, I dont worry about the occasional danger when I do remodel work because the venting should let most of the gas go up the stacks. : Regards, : Terry LoveWhat is one to do if Studer venting has been installed in the lavs and the sewage odor remains?

• #309441
                                                                                Participant

: ?We have a 6 year old home we have lived in for six months. About a month ago we noticed a slight odor that since then has become much more pronounced. It is most definitely sewer gas. We have made sure there are no dry traps and even replaced the wax ring on the toilet we thought was the culprit. Still, the smell persists. It is exculsive to the second floor where it seems to be circulated by the heat pump. The first floor is on a separate system and has no odor. The smell is by far the worst when someone in the house is showering. Help.

• #309442
                                                                                  Participant

: ?We have a 6 year old home we have lived in for six months. About a month ago we noticed a slight odor that since then has become much more pronounced. It is most definitely sewer gas. We have made sure there are no dry traps and even replaced the wax ring on the toilet we thought was the culprit. Still, the smell persists. It is exculsive to the second floor where it seems to be circulated by the heat pump. The first floor is on a separate system and has no odor. The smell is by far the worst when someone in the house is showering. Help.

• #309479
                                                                                    Participant

• #309480
                                                                                      Participant

Viewing 40 reply threads
                                                                                    • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This