Banging pipes.

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Banging pipes.

• This topic has 6 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 27 years ago by Avatar photoMark von Wehrden.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

My townhouse suffers from banging pipes. It seems to occur randomly and it doesnt matter whether water has been running or not. It can happen in the middle of the night. I added a water hammer unit to the cold side of the main water supply, but the noise persists. I did replace the pressure reduction valve several years ago and that solved the problem–for awhile. I about ready to replace the PRV again but would appreciate any suggestions at to alternative solutions to this noise problem. Thank you very much.

Participant

: My townhouse suffers from banging pipes. It seems to occur randomly and it doesnt matter whether water has been running or not. It can happen in the middle of the night. I added a water hammer unit to the cold side of the main water supply, but the noise persists. I did replace the pressure reduction valve several years ago and that solved the problem–for awhile. I about ready to replace the PRV again but would appreciate any suggestions at to alternative solutions to this noise problem. Thank you very much. Mark,The first thing I would try, is to shut off the water to your home, drain the water down, then turn the water back on. Sometimes homes are plumbed with air chambers that fill up with water over time. As far as the night time banging, check to see if any toilets have slow leaking flappers in the home. Let me know if this works. Regards, Terry Love

Participant

: My townhouse suffers from banging pipes. It seems to occur randomly and it doesnt matter whether water has been running or not. It can happen in the middle of the night. I added a water hammer unit to the cold side of the main water supply, but the noise persists. I did replace the pressure reduction valve several years ago and that solved the problem–for awhile. I about ready to replace the PRV again but would appreciate any suggestions at to alternative solutions to this noise problem. Thank you very much. Mark,The first thing I would try, is to shut off the water to your home, drain the water down, then turn the water back on. Sometimes homes are plumbed with air chambers that fill up with water over time. As far as the night time banging, check to see if any toilets have slow leaking flappers in the home. Let me know if this works. Regards, Terry Love

Participant

Participant

Participant

: : : My townhouse suffers from banging pipes. It seems to occur randomly and it doesnt matter whether water has been running or not. It can happen in the middle of the night. I added a water hammer unit to the cold side of the main water supply, but the noise persists. I did replace the pressure reduction valve several years ago and that solved the problem–for awhile. I about ready to replace the PRV again but would appreciate any suggestions at to alternative solutions to this noise problem. Thank you very much. : Mark,: The first thing I would try, is to shut off the water to your home, drain the water down, then turn the water back on. Sometimes homes are plumbed with air chambers that fill up with water over time. As far as the night time banging, check to see if any toilets have slow leaking flappers in the home. Let me know if this works. : Regards, : Terry Love: My wife and I recently moved into our first home which is situated at the highest point at the end of a small water company (75 customers). We were having a problem with the water draining back down the hill at odd times during the month, so we installed a check valve at the bottom of our hill to halt the problem. Immediately upon doing this we began experiencing the same symptoms you have described. Our pipes bang almost constantly and around the clock, bad enough to keep us awake at night. So far we have tried draining the lines and refilling them several times as well as adding 4 water hammer arrestors to no avail. Were having a plumber come out soon to take a look. Ill let you know what he says. -Jim

Participant

: : : My townhouse suffers from banging pipes. It seems to occur randomly and it doesnt matter whether water has been running or not. It can happen in the middle of the night. I added a water hammer unit to the cold side of the main water supply, but the noise persists. I did replace the pressure reduction valve several years ago and that solved the problem–for awhile. I about ready to replace the PRV again but would appreciate any suggestions at to alternative solutions to this noise problem. Thank you very much. : Mark,: The first thing I would try, is to shut off the water to your home, drain the water down, then turn the water back on. Sometimes homes are plumbed with air chambers that fill up with water over time. As far as the night time banging, check to see if any toilets have slow leaking flappers in the home. Let me know if this works. : Regards, : Terry Love: My wife and I recently moved into our first home which is situated at the highest point at the end of a small water company (75 customers). We were having a problem with the water draining back down the hill at odd times during the month, so we installed a check valve at the bottom of our hill to halt the problem. Immediately upon doing this we began experiencing the same symptoms you have described. Our pipes bang almost constantly and around the clock, bad enough to keep us awake at night. So far we have tried draining the lines and refilling them several times as well as adding 4 water hammer arrestors to no avail. Were having a plumber come out soon to take a look. Ill let you know what he says. -Jim

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This