Outside faucet whines when under pressure

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Outside faucet whines when under pressure

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      MasterPlumbers
      Keymaster

I have an outside faucet that starts to whine (a medium pitched “Hmmmmm” sound) when under pressure. Free flow, the noise goes away, but if I put a sprayer on the end of the hose, the faucet starts whining again. No vibration or hammering, just an annoying, annoying, annoying whine that I can hear all the way back into my house. Hopefully this is an easy fix. Can someone help???

You hit the nail on the head with the “free flow” comment.

You see by decreasing the orifice (sprayer) your increasing velocity (FPS) and any water in excess of 8 FPS should be avoided for the reason your stating noise and in certain conditions erosion can occur.

Since your taking about an outside hose bib this is a globe type of valve and it is perfectly OK to use this type of valve to throttle the volume down until the nose subsides

I’m sorry, I didn’t quite follow your last comment about the valve. Are you saying I should buy and install a different type of valve to correct the noise problem? Rebuild the present valve? I have tried throttling the valve, but it has no effect. Both barely open, full open, and anywhere in between it makes the noise as soon as I put back pressure on it.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This