toilet problem

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives toilet problem

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I have a single story home with a bathroom at each end. I am also on a septic system and my problem is that the toilet at the end of the house closest to the tank does not flush properly unless I hit it with a plunger once or twice after pushing the handle down. There is not any back-up or odor problems and the other toilet works just fine. What can I do to fix this myself?

Participant

: I have a single story home with a bathroom at each end. : I am also on a septic system and my problem is that the : toilet at the end of the house closest to the tank does : not flush properly unless I hit it with a plunger once : or twice after pushing the handle down. There is not any : back-up or odor problems and the other toilet works just : fine. What can I do to fix this myself?Dear Roc,Does the toilet near the tank have a vent? Is there something lodged in the trap of the toilet? like a toy, make-up pen, toothbrush?Q.What is a vent, and what does it do for the plumbing system?A. If you look on your roof, you will see pipes sticking out of the roof aprox 12 high. �For every pipe that goes down, one needs to go up. �The obvious reason we have vents is that sewer gases need to be vented outside of the dwelling. �Not so obvious is what happens if they are not included in the waste and vent design. �Imagine yourself at McDonalds drinking a soda from a straw. �If you put your thumb over the straw, you can pull liquid up from the cup. Remove the thumb and see it instantly drain out! �When liquid goes down a pipe, air needs to follow it. �Without the vent pipe, the draining liquid will try to suck air through the P-traps on the plumbing fixtures,(tub, sink, etc.) glurp, glurp! �If it manages to do so, you may know it from the smell coming from the now dry seal on the P-trap. Without vents, draining one fixture may cause another fixture in the house to back up, yuck! A waste and vent system should keep sewer gas out of the dwelling and drain every fixture well. �Check also Toiletology 101 http://www.toiletology.comRegards, Terry Love

Participant

: : : I have a single story home with a bathroom at each end. : : I am also on a septic system and my problem is that the : : toilet at the end of the house closest to the tank does : : not flush properly unless I hit it with a plunger once : : or twice after pushing the handle down. There is not any : : back-up or odor problems and the other toilet works just : : fine. What can I do to fix this myself?: Dear Roc,: Does the toilet near the tank have a vent? : Is there something lodged in the trap of the toilet? like a toy, make-up pen, toothbrush?: Q.What is a vent, and what does it do for the plumbing system?: A. If you look on your roof, you will see pipes sticking out of the roof aprox 12 high. �For every pipe that goes down, one needs to go up. �The obvious reason we have vents is that sewer gases need to be vented outside of the dwelling. �Not so obvious is what happens if they are not included in the waste and vent design. �Imagine yourself at McDonalds drinking a soda from a straw. �If you put your thumb over the straw, you can pull liquid up from the cup. Remove the thumb and see it instantly drain out! �When liquid goes down a pipe, air needs to follow it. �Without the vent pipe, the draining liquid will try to suck air through the P-traps on the plumbing fixtures,(tub, sink, etc.) glurp, glurp! �If it manages to do so, you may know it from the smell coming from the now dry seal on the P-trap. Without vents, draining one fixture may cause another fixture in the house to back up, yuck! A waste and vent system should keep sewer gas out of the dwelling and drain every fixture well. �: Check also : Toiletology 101 : http://www.toiletology.com: Regards, : Terry Love

Participant

: : : I have a single story home with a bathroom at each end. : : I am also on a septic system and my problem is that the : : toilet at the end of the house closest to the tank does : : not flush properly unless I hit it with a plunger once : : or twice after pushing the handle down. There is not any : : back-up or odor problems and the other toilet works just : : fine. What can I do to fix this myself?: Dear Roc,: Does the toilet near the tank have a vent? : Is there something lodged in the trap of the toilet? like a toy, make-up pen, toothbrush?: Q.What is a vent, and what does it do for the plumbing system?: A. If you look on your roof, you will see pipes sticking out of the roof aprox 12 high. �For every pipe that goes down, one needs to go up. �The obvious reason we have vents is that sewer gases need to be vented outside of the dwelling. �Not so obvious is what happens if they are not included in the waste and vent design. �Imagine yourself at McDonalds drinking a soda from a straw. �If you put your thumb over the straw, you can pull liquid up from the cup. Remove the thumb and see it instantly drain out! �When liquid goes down a pipe, air needs to follow it. �Without the vent pipe, the draining liquid will try to suck air through the P-traps on the plumbing fixtures,(tub, sink, etc.) glurp, glurp! �If it manages to do so, you may know it from the smell coming from the now dry seal on the P-trap. Without vents, draining one fixture may cause another fixture in the house to back up, yuck! A waste and vent system should keep sewer gas out of the dwelling and drain every fixture well. �: Check also : Toiletology 101 : http://www.toiletology.com: Regards, : Terry Love

Participant

Participant

HI….The toilet in our room does not have water in it and we dont knnow how to get it running but the other one upstairs works..one day the water didnt come back up…How do we fix it?Sincerely, Cory Wells

Participant

The newer toilets do not flush like the old ones with the larger tanks. Id like to find one with the elongated bowl that flushes well the first time around. One that has a good puddle of water in the bowl so that all drops into the water and not on the porcelain first. Is there even one out there that will do this and not have to be one of the pressurized types? Also have a condensation problem that is really bad in the hot summer. Was thinking of a mixer valve but will a lined tank do the job? Do the lining kits work as well as if you were to buy the tank with it factory installed? So can I fix the condensation problem in the old toilet or do I have to settle for a slow flusher with a new one? Thanks, Mary

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This