bathtubs

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I need to replace my bathtub. 2 part question 1. I think my old tub is cast iron, what is the easiest way to get it out, I dont care if it stays in one piece or not. 2. I would like some general information on how the tub connects to the drain etc.Thanks in advance Rodney

Participant

: I need to replace my bathtub. 2 part question : 1. I think my old tub is cast iron, what is the easiest : way to get it out, I dont care if it stays in one : piece or not. : 2. I would like some general information on how the tub : connects to the drain etc.: Thanks in advance : Rodney Dear Rodney, You are about to tackle one of my favorite jobs, removing a cast iron tub. Cast iron tubs weigh about 300 pounds. They are hard to install when new and almost impossible to remove and useless to anyone but a metal salvage outfit. 1. remove the waste & overflow drain fittings. the top part is held on with screws, the bottom drain fitting, threads into a receiving female thread. Tools are sold for removing the lower drain fitting, ( a tub tool) 2. lay a plastic sheet over the tub, and put on eye protection. (the plastic sheet helps to keep the glass from flying up and cutting skin). use a sledge hammer to break the tub up, starting at the mid point, breaking the tub at least into quarters. 4. carry out in pieces.Always install a new waste & overflow drain. If you use a tub drain with slip joint nuts, keep with the brass body ones. The lift linkage on the ABS ones dont last very long. Some locals require tub drains with no slip joint fittings, (ABS glued fittings) I prefer the brass bodied ones such as the Price Pfister 19-010Regards, Terry Love

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This