Sand leaking into fiberglass whirlpool

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Sand leaking into fiberglass whirlpool

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I ahve a fairly large fiberglass whirlpool.Lately some quantity of sand keeps coming into the whirlpool,I believe,thru the jet or jets.The whirlpool is surrounded by cement slab and ceramic tiled.My problem:How do I detect the source of the leaking sand without actually having to break the ceramic tiles and concrete around the pool.I have been able to establish the sand does not come from the filter but suspect it is part of the compacted granular material under the concrete and the tiles.There has got to be an economical way of detecting the source of the leak and/or the location of the broken or loose connection.SOS.Thanks in advance.Devendra

Participant

: I ahve a fairly large fiberglass whirlpool.Lately some quantity of sand keeps coming into the whirlpool,I believe,thru the jet or jets.The whirlpool is surrounded by cement slab and ceramic tiled.My problem:How do I detect the source of the leaking sand without actually having to break the ceramic tiles and concrete around the pool.I have been able to establish the sand does not come from the filter but suspect it is part of the compacted granular material under the concrete and the tiles.There has got to be an economical way of detecting the source of the leak and/or the location of the broken or loose connection.SOS.Thanks in advance.DevendraDear Devendra,With a fiberglass whirlpool I would think the only way sand would get in would be via the water supply. Check inside the tank of a toilet to see if any of the same sand is there. If this is the problem you may need to install a sediment filter on the main water supply.Ken

Participant

: I ahve a fairly large fiberglass whirlpool.Lately some quantity of sand keeps coming into the whirlpool,I believe,thru the jet or jets.The whirlpool is surrounded by cement slab and ceramic tiled.My problem:How do I detect the source of the leaking sand without actually having to break the ceramic tiles and concrete around the pool.I have been able to establish the sand does not come from the filter but suspect it is part of the compacted granular material under the concrete and the tiles.There has got to be an economical way of detecting the source of the leak and/or the location of the broken or loose connection.SOS.Thanks in advance.DevendraDear Devendra, The sand could be coming from the suction pipe connected between the pump and the water inlet inside the whirlpool. Because this pipe is sucking water from the whirlpool, it can also suck in material around the tub if there is a break in the pipe or fittings. Usually the pipe is PVC plastic, Breaks can happen with a tub in the ground. A way to test for that would be to plug the suction inlet, disconnect the pump motor and test with air at that point to see if the pressure holds ( If it wont hold pressure, you have a leak ) Terry Love

Participant

John Thomas is a sweet lil boi

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This