hot water heater pilot light and leaking drain valve

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives hot water heater pilot light and leaking drain valve

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me.On advice from a friend I flushed my water heater. I have since been unable to completely stop the water from trickling out of the valve at the bottom of the heater. As a temporary measure, I turned off the incoming water and turned off the gas to the unit. I also removed the drain valve so I could bring it to the store to replace it. I figured it was broken. Now I want to relight my heater. I closely followed the directions for lighting the pilot light. Yet, it will not light. Note: As a result of removing the drain valve some water had dripped into the area under the heater (where the pilot and lighting system is) My heater requires my to depress a red button when attempting to light the pilot. I followed the directions, and tried for two hours to get this puppy lit. But never even a flicker. Any suggestions. Thank you.

Participant

: Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me.: On advice from a friend I flushed my water heater. I have : since been unable to completely stop the water from : trickling out of the valve at the bottom of the heater. : As a temporary measure, I turned off the incoming water : and turned off the gas to the unit. I also removed the : drain valve so I could bring it to the store to replace it. : I figured it was broken. : Now I want to relight my heater. I closely followed the directions : for lighting the pilot light. Yet, it will not light. : Note: As a result of removing the drain valve some water : had dripped into the area under the heater (where the : pilot and lighting system is) : My heater requires my to depress a red button when : attempting to light the pilot. : I followed the directions, and tried for two hours to get this puppy lit. : But never even a flicker. Any suggestions. Thank you.Michael, I dont think the water below will be a problem. It is hard to light a water heater the first time. I dont find many manuals that give a good picture of where to light a pilot light. You should see something like a thick wire coming from the gas control on the tank going to the thermal coupling, whick looks like a very small rod. Right near this is the pilot light, can lood almost like a two petal flower. The thermal coupling will be centered between the petals. When I light a heater I cheat, I use a handheld turbo tipped torch turned down low so that the flame hangs out the tip about 6.(too much gas from the torch will blow out the pilot flame) I run this flame through the pilot light petals untill the gas lights, and continue for about 10 seconds. If you remove pressure from the pilot lighting button before the thermal couple lights up the flame will go out. The purpose of the thermal couple is to measure heat from the pilot flame, no heat, no gas. As far as replacing drains, the tank is drilled with 3/4 fip theads. Choices are 3/4 nipple with a silcock. or replacement drain that comes complete. Somtimes when removing a plastic drain they will snap off. They can be removed with an easy-out tool, If plastic I sometimes turn my torch on what is remaining in the tank to soften up the plastic, take a hacksaw blade and carefully cut some vertical slices in it, not going as far as the metal in the tank threading. Terry Good Luck

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This