Pinholes in two year old copper pipes

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Pinholes in two year old copper pipes

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Dear Sirs I have a two year old house and my copper pipes are developing pin-holes in them. The pipe manufacturer is Reading Copper who is disavowing any responsibility for the defect. This copper pipe is L type which is the best I am told by my builder. Can you help on this problem. What would cause this problem. Several other $300,000 plus homes in my area have also developed this problem. This onbly appears to have a problem with the cold water pipes. This has occurred with different plumbers and different builders. Please help. My email is [email protected] Thank you in advance for any help.Rodney Baker

Participant

: Dear Sirs : I have a two year old house and my copper pipes are : developing pin-holes in them. The pipe manufacturer : is Reading Copper who is disavowing any responsibility : for the defect. This copper pipe is L type which is : the best I am told by my builder. Can you help on this : problem. What would cause this problem. Several other : $300,000 plus homes in my area have also developed : this problem. This onbly appears to have a problem : with the cold water pipes. This has occurred with : different plumbers and different builders. Please help. : My email is [email protected] Thank you in advance : for any help.: Rodney Baker Rodney, Type L is good pipe. I would find out how much clorine is in the water. I have seen pinholes in copper that has been used in pool rooms. Also check out http://www.copper.org

Participant

Terry,My house was completed 11 years ago and I have had 4 leaks in the last 6 month, the last two in the same week. Only one was a hot water pipe.The plumber that came to do the initial repair said that the problem was wide-spread and due to the use of cheaper M pipe (not your case) and poor technique in flushing/wipeing off the excess flux used in the solder. The flux is acid based and if left on will eat through the copper. A small bead left inside the tube will eat through it eventually, or if you smear the flux on the outside, it could also eat through it.Thats no consilation for me or you but at least you know what to avoid the next time. I dont know if we have recourse against the plumber (I didnt choose to have cheap pipe installed in a two story home) and the builder. I believe that eventually, the expense of replacement will be all mine.Good luck.Victor de la Garza

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This