Tapping into existing drainline (cast iron)

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Tapping into existing drainline (cast iron)

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I have a 5 inch main line that I will need to tap into with a tee connection or a saddle tee. My question is what is the best method for creating the opening for a saddle tee. I have experience with plumbing but never cutting into a existing line (cast iron). I am considering recip. saw (with starter hole drilled), drilling with a hole bit, or having a professional do it.

Participant

: I have a 5 inch main line that I will need to tap into with : a tee connection or a saddle tee. My question is what is the best method : for creating the opening for a saddle tee. I have experience : with plumbing but never cutting into a existing line (cast iron). : I am considering recip. saw (with starter hole drilled), drilling with : a hole bit, or having a professional do it.I installed a saddle on a 5 cast iron line, drilling out the hole with a hole saw. The pipe was in a building built in the 1920s I think.Common cast iron pipe sizes near the 5 inch size would be 4 and 6. The outside diameter of the 4 pipe is 4-3/8To cut cast iron waste pipe in the field, we use a snap cutter. It is device with cutting wheels on a chain that is wraped around the pipe, then compressed untill the pipe snaps apart.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This