Whistling Hot Water Pipe

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Whistling Hot Water Pipe

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

The hot water faucet in my shower suddenly started an annoying whistling, which changes pitch depending on water pressure. It really shrieks! I had not done anything to the plumbing to trigger it and never had the problem before. Most of the reference books Ive consulted deal with banging or rattling caused by air in the pipes, but not whistling. Its not vented in any way (so as to purge air, if thats causing it), but Im at a loss as to what to do with it. Its about 16 years old, but seems to work find otherwise. Would replacing the washers have any effect?

Participant

: The hot water faucet in my shower suddenly started an annoying whistling, which changes pitch depending on water pressure. It really shrieks! I had not done anything to the plumbing to trigger it and never had the problem before. Most of the reference books Ive consulted deal with banging or rattling caused by air in the pipes, but not whistling. Its not vented in any way (so as to purge air, if thats causing it), but Im at a loss as to what to do with it. Its about 16 years old, but seems to work find otherwise. Would replacing the washers have any effect?Most probably yes. New washers will often fix this sort of thing. If not, check the tap spindles. If they are old & worn there may be some play in them which would let them vibrate. Replace them. If that doesnt work you need to check whether the water pipes are secured properly.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This