leakage

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

If I close the main water supply valve to my home (built in 1981) and leave it off for 6 months, is there a danger of leaking joints when I turn the water back on?

Participant

: If I close the main water supply valve to my home (built in 1981) and leave it off for 6 months, is there a danger of leaking joints when I turn the water back on?Bill, good afternoon, thank you for your inquiry. If you are connected to a main water supply that is one where the main is under pressure and has water from a supply from the Water Authority, then if you shut off your water at the front of the property and do not open up or drain out any of the water then there should be not problem of a leak in the system. The water left in the pipes within your home is no longer under pressure and should not be subject to any unecessary strains or stress. So I think you can go and enjoy your holiday ? and feel pretty confident that all will be well. Regards Colin Dunn

Participant

HiYour insight may help me answer a puzzling question thats always bothered me. Years ago, water pressure dropped nationwide just before Milton Berles famous TV show. Seems everybody went to the bathroom just before Uncle Miltie went on the air. Ive always wondered just what happens when so many people simultaneously go to the bathroom; and, hypothetically, just what would happen if everyone in a major metropolitan area was to flush a toilet at the same time? Would a citys pipes burst? Would reservoirs drain? Your insight woul be most appreciated.Thanks,Marc L.

Participant

: Hi: Your insight may help me answer a puzzling question thats always bothered me. Years ago, water pressure dropped nationwide just before Milton Berles famous TV show. Seems everybody went to the bathroom just before Uncle Miltie went on the air. Ive always wondered just what happens when so many people simultaneously go to the bathroom; and, hypothetically, just what would happen if everyone in a major metropolitan area was to flush a toilet at the same time? Would a citys pipes burst? Would reservoirs drain? Your insight woul be most appreciated.: Thanks,: Marc L.Hello MarcWhat would happen is as everyone demanded water pressures would drop and flow rates would decrease. Its unlikely to result in any real problems in the system.A four inch pipe can only deliver so much water if the demand is to high you would beat the supply capacity.Get out your garden hose and turn it on and slowly make holes down the side and you will see the flow and pressure at the end of the hose drop, however the total amount of water supplied via all the holes is the same as if there was only one hole because the pipe size limits the deliveryHowever if the drain on the system continued then local storage tanks/reservoirs would possibly suffer.Most water networks today are supprisingly complex and each regions distribution is different but when the world cup is on (UK type football) then all the utilities gas/electric and water build up the reserves to accomodate the projected demand.hope this is helpfulPaul Martin Spectrascan.com

Participant

: Hi: Your insight may help me answer a puzzling question thats always bothered me. Years ago, water pressure dropped nationwide just before Milton Berles famous TV show. Seems everybody went to the bathroom just before Uncle Miltie went on the air. Ive always wondered just what happens when so many people simultaneously go to the bathroom; and, hypothetically, just what would happen if everyone in a major metropolitan area was to flush a toilet at the same time? Would a citys pipes burst? Would reservoirs drain? Your insight woul be most appreciated.: Thanks,: Marc L.

Participant

: If I close the main water supply valve to my home (built in 1981) and leave it off for 6 months, is there a danger of leaking joints when I turn the water back on?

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This