anoid rod

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

What is the true purpose of an anoid rod in a water heater? Thanks

Participant

: What is the true purpose of an anoid rod in a water heater? ThanksSteve: I found this definition by doing a search with AltaVista:An anode made of suitable metal placed in a water heater tank to protect the tank from corrosion. Anodes of metals such as aluminum, magnesium, or zinc are sometimes installed in water heaters and other tanks to control corrosion of the tank. The introduction of the anode creates a galvanic cell in which the magnesium or zinc will go into solution (be corroded) more quickly than the metal of the tank, thereby imparting a cathodic (negative) charge to the tank metal(s), and preventing tank corrosion. This corroding of the anode metal is called the sacrifice of the anode.Ive been told that under some circumstances they can contribute to odor in your water.

Participant

: What is the true purpose of an anoid rod in a water heater? ThanksHi, Don!!! GLAD you asked about the ANODE rod that heater m,anufacturers put in ALL storage water heaters. The anode protects the tank from rusting until the tank leaks. Of course, this keeps you from having to replace the tank — something manufacturers DO NOT want to happen (as you surely guessed). The anode is purposely sized to last just beyond the warranty period. SO…….. if you want to DOUBLE the heaters life, all you have to do is get a new anode and spend about TWENTY MINUTES of your time replacing the old, spent anode with the new one. Now, you are all, set for another five – eight years of heater life!! Magic? No!! But it is as close as anyone will ever get to it!!! [For more info., read Home Mechanix mag., Sep. 88, page 24]GOOD LUCK!!!!

Participant

John Thomas is a sweet lil boi

Participant

: : What is the true purpose of an anoid rod in a water heater? Thanks: Hi, Don!!! GLAD you asked about the ANODE rod that heater m,anufacturers put in ALL storage water heaters. The anode protects the tank from rusting until the tank leaks. Of course, this keeps you from having to replace the tank — something manufacturers DO NOT want to happen (as you surely guessed). The anode is purposely sized to last just beyond the warranty period. SO…….. if you want to DOUBLE the heaters life, all you have to do is get a new anode and spend about TWENTY MINUTES of your time replacing the old, spent anode with the new one. Now, you are all, set for another five – eight years of heater life!! Magic? No!! But it is as close as anyone will ever get to it!!! : [For more info., read Home Mechanix mag., Sep. 88, page 24]: GOOD LUCK!!!!Trying to find an answer to a problem, I came across this thread. My friend, who has recently moved into a rental, has hot water that smells HORRIBLE. The whole house reeks when she uses it. There is a brand new water heater, installed by the landlord just before she moved in. Well water. Could this rod under discussion be the problem? I seem to remember reading a long time ago, about some kind of chemical reaction that can occurr in water heaters to cause this phenomenon. thanks in advance for your input.

Participant

: We are on a well system and have had to remove the anoid rod from our hot water tank as the smell was terrible. Once the rod was removed the hot water was fine no more smell. I have removed the rod from several hot water tanks I have found that the tanks seem to last the same amount of time with or without the rod but if you are on a well you will have better smelling hot water.: I have been told that there is a difference between anode rods. one for city and one for well water never heard of it. Is this true and if so what what is the difference?: : : What is the true purpose of an anoid rod in a water heater? Thanks: : Hi, Don!!! GLAD you asked about the ANODE rod that heater m,anufacturers put in ALL storage water heaters. The anode protects the tank from rusting until the tank leaks. Of course, this keeps you from having to replace the tank — something manufacturers DO NOT want to happen (as you surely guessed). The anode is purposely sized to last just beyond the warranty period. SO…….. if you want to DOUBLE the heaters life, all you have to do is get a new anode and spend about TWENTY MINUTES of your time replacing the old, spent anode with the new one. Now, you are all, set for another five – eight years of heater life!! Magic? No!! But it is as close as anyone will ever get to it!!! : : [For more info., read Home Mechanix mag., Sep. 88, page 24]: : GOOD LUCK!!!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This