Repairing Hot Water Heater

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Repairing Hot Water Heater

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

How do I drain an electric hot water heater and replace the element?

Participant

: How do I drain an electric hot water heater and replace the element?Firstly, this is not really a job you should do yourself. But if you want to try, this is the procedure. I presume its a mains pressure heater.Turn power off! Double check this!!!! Turn cold water tap off – This will be near the bottom connection on the water heater. Undo the bottom water connection of the water heater (dont worry, not much water will come out yet) – Attach a suitable hose to this connection on the heater ready to be drained. Undo the outlet connection on the heater – this is the top connection. This lets air into the cylinder and the tank will start to drain out through your hose. When the tank is empty, open the electrical connections cover on the heater. Locate the element. It will have a flange connection with 4 bolts holding it in. Undo the 4 bolts. Disconnect the 2 electrical wires. Pull the element out. Insert the new element. Tighten the 4 bolts evenly. Reconnect the 2 electrical wires. Reconnect the water inlet and outlet connections. Turn the water back on. Turn a hot water tap on somewhere so that the air in the tank gets bled out. When the tank is full, turn that tap off. Check that the element does not leak. Replace the electrical cover. Turn the power on. Good luck.

Participant

: How do I drain an electric hot water heater and replace the element?Hi, Nancy!!I hope you got the element replaced OK. I got a little confused reading the instructions (Im not sure it was clear that the cold water shut-off was at the TOP of the water heater). I like to see people save their water heaters rather than discarding into landfills. Along that line, I suapect that your anode is probably about used up by now. DONT fail to replace it at the end of your (five year) warranty period, or else you will have a new element in a failed tank!If you havent done this, it is about as easy — and JUST as necessary as replacing the element is. Look for a bid nut on top of the tank (its 1 1/16). Most manufacturers over-tighten this fitting (possibly to discourage replacement?). So you may need to use an impact wrench to loosen it. Unscrew it and check its condition. If a total of 5 – 6 of the center core wirer is exposed, you are about ready to replace it with a new one. Merely put pipe dope on the threads and screw the new one in — tighten ONLY enough to keep it from leaking. And you are all set for another 5+ years of heater life!If you dont have about 36+ clearance, you need a flexible anode. Just contact me, if you need one. OK? Good Luck!! Darrel I

Participant

Help!! I have a 40 gallon hot water heater. I am getting 4 minute showers before the hot runs out. They have replaced the 2 elements and 2 thermostats. What else can it be?

Participant

How would I go about installing a drip pan under my hot water heater?

Participant

HELP!!!!! MY HOT WATER HEATER IS LEAKING UNCONTROLLABLYY ON THE FLOOR!!! WHAT DO I DO???? HOW DO I FIX IT??? AND IS IT DANGEROUS??? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!! JENNIFER B. please get back to me a.s.a.p.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This