Bathtub drain assembly

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Bathtub drain assembly

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I removed the drain in my bathtub to clean it out. I noticed the gasket was loose (under the tub, connecting the PVC to the tub) so I reached in to adjust it and realized the PVC pipe (elbow and 2″ pipe) was not connected to anything leaving the tub. Should it not be connected to the main drainage? Is it possible that the PVC pipe runs to a drain hole, and therefore wouldn’t need to be connected to another pipe?

Participant

I’ve never heard of a situation like yours. That elbow should run into some drain close by. Has it been draining into a crawl space all this time?

Participant

If you just removed the drain plug, then you should not have had access to the gasket. If you unscrewed the drain fitting, then the gasket would have been loose since it was not longer being clamped by the drain fitting. But, if you did that and the elbow was not connected to anything then it should have fallen off and dropped into the hole under the tub. Obviously that did not happen, so what is holding it in place? Whatever that is may be the drain’s connection.

Participant

hj – I did unscrew the drain which is why the gasket fell off. The elbow and 2-3 inch pipe are just laying there on the surface below the tub – if the tub had been elevated I would not be able to see the elbow piece. My question was whether the pipe attached to the elbow should be just aiming at a drain or attached to it? Mine is just aiming that direction.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This