High-pitched whistling from pipes

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing High-pitched whistling from pipes

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

In most of the water faucets, including showers, I get a high pitched noise whenever I turn on the water supply. The Home-Depot employee suspected it was the water pressure regulator in front of the house where the water goes into the house. Any ideas from you experts? How difficult/simple is it for a layperson to fix?

Thanks for your input.

Participant

Hey Jack, since you already know the store clerk at Home Depot WHY not let him install what ever he thinks could be the culprit? Better yet ask him to come over on his own time and pay him cash to work on your gas lines and electricity.

THINK how much money you could save instead of hiring a licensed and insured professional. Yup Jack you have the right idea ASK a stock clerk THEN second guess him. If I were YOU I would beg this guy to be your personal handyman YOU deserve each other.

Participant

SylvanLMP:

You seem to be a very angry person. Seek professional help before you hurt someone.

Jack

P.S.: there is a difference between seeking a second opinion and secondguessing. Perhaps your psychiatrist can fill you in on that.

Participant

Sylvan:

LOL. YOU are such a TRIP!! And stupid!! But, nevertheless, still very angry.

First, the Home DEPOT (not “center,” you no-short-term-memory freak) was a retired plumber. You SIR would be lucky to work there when you retire.

Second, a psychiatrist is a LICENSED PHYSICIAN who can prescribe some “good pills” for you. Just ask, he will give you a prescription.

Third, you keep talking about taking the Home Depot man home. I don’t know what type of ‘PLUMBING’ you’re into, but I don’t swing that way. Not that there’s anything wrong with it….

Fourth, perhaps you haven’t suspected this. But many inquiries here are made by people seeking advice in order to save a bit of money. But, either you’re too stupid to realize that or …. yeah, you’re just simply too stupid to realize that.

So, my dumb-shit friend, there you have it. And have a nice day!

Your best pal,
              Jack

Participant

Jack, I don’t know if the individual from Home Depot is a licensed plumber, but if he isn’t, I would not recommend taking his opinion as a first opinion. My suggestion to you would be to call a professional plumber for your first and last opinion. It’s always safer for the homeowner to get a job done by a professional and also, the work is guaranteed. Good luck. Sylvan

Participant

Gosh, Jack, I simply wanted to help. I only ask if the gentleman from Home Depot was a plumber and if not, you may have a concern with his advise. I didn’t mean to get you so up in arms. My typical response to these kind of problems is to get a professional opinion. Have a nice day, Jack. Sylvan

Participant

Well, my friend, Jack. I can tell that you are very angry with my advice to you. I am sorry it worked out this way. I know that you must be a nice person, but for some unknown reason, you have resented my professional advice. Maybe we should end this thread now while we are still civil. Wishing you the best of luck with your advice from the Retired Plumber from Home Depot. My goal is to be where he is in twenty years.
                    Warm Regards.
                    Syl

Participant

SylvanLMP:

You crack me up. First you respond to Jack’s inquiry with an abusive offering and then retreat from this position and assume the role of victim. You are the classic passive-aggressive which is too bad considering you also seem to be very knowledgeable. Moreover, your arrogance in your responses to Jack and to others on this site serves only to highlight your own insecurity rather than your skills or knowledge.

Jack:

Nice response. Creative … concise … humorous. I’ve enjoyed your exchange with SylvanLMP. He asked for it.

Participant

SylvanLMP:

You crack me up. First you respond to Jack’s inquiry with an abusive offering and then retreat from this position and assume the role of victim. You are the classic passive-aggressive which is too bad considering you also seem to be very knowledgeable. Moreover, your arrogance in your responses to Jack and to others on this site serves only to highlight your own insecurity rather than your skills or knowledge.

Jack:

Nice response. Creative … concise … humorous. I’ve enjoyed your exchange with SylvanLMP. He asked for it.

Participant

Thank you CC glad your having almost as fun as I am. I still think Jack should continue to seek GREAT advice from home Depot. I heard they even have a retired brain surgeon that I am sure can also give Jack lots of GREAT advice. Yes, CC you can always tell a very successful “plumber” who when they retire RUN to work for a home center.
                          Have a great one CC and please call again LOL

[Edited by SylvanLMP on 15 June 2000]

Participant

Can’t you too serious men comprehend that Sylvan is simply kidding. With his free expert advice 99% of the time, you would think you would allow for a little NYC humor. I admire his ability to always give professional advice. I am a retired plumber and I know that I haven’t kept up with things so I am reluctant to offer advice. Sylvan keeps up with the codes so therefore has great advice. Keep up the great work, son. POPS

Participant

Sylvan LIMP:

Hi there. How are you doing? I see from reading your responses over the past two days that you STILL have not gone to the LICENSED PHYSICIAN for some “good pills.” That explains why your mood has not stabilized.

I’ve gone back to Home DEPOT and spoken with the retired PSYCHIATRIST. He tells me that you should take two washers and call him in the morning. Oppps, he works at the Home DEPOT, and you can’t trust his advice. So, GO SEE A PROFESSIONAL PSYCHIATRIST.

And oh, you said I was angry with your advice? LOL

Your best pal,
                              Jack

Participant

SylvanLMP:

Dan, Dan, Dan. Still so sarcastic and angry. Then again, maybe I just don’t get the New York humor of which Pops spoke. Could it be that you’ve experienced a drop off in business because of Home Depot? Sounds like the same thing may have happened to the brain surgeon of which you spoke.

Participant

SylvanLMP:

What happened to your second post where you, in essence, suggested that people who ask questions on this site are too cheap to hire a plumber?? You know, the post in which you revealed that you don’t know that a psychiatrist is a licensed physician? You erased it, didn’t you? And stop editing your posts.

ARE YOU AFRAID THE READERS WILL REALIZE WHAT YOU ****REALLY***** ARE? I SUSPECT IT’S TOO LATE; YOU’VE ALREADY SHOWN YOUR TRUE COLORS.

Commit to a position and stick to it. You know – the way Home Depot employees do.

Warmest Regards,
                                  Jack

Participant

I thought I would put a joke into this because that’s what this must be. Can we all just get along in this forum

GEORGE CARLIN RUMINATIONS

1. Don’t sweat the petty things and don’t pet the sweaty things.
                                    2. One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.
                                    3. Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
                                    4. If man evolved from monkeys and apes, why do we still have monkeys and apes?
                                    5. The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad
                                    girls live.
                                    6. I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, “Where’s the self-help
                                    section?” She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
                                    7. Could it be that all those trick-or-treaters wearing sheets aren’t going
                                    as ghosts but as mattresses?
                                    8. If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?
                                    9. If a man is standing in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no
                                    woman around to hear him – is he still wrong?
                                    10. If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it
                                    considered a hostage situation?
                                    11. Is there another word for synonym?
                                    12. Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do practice?”
                                    13. Where do forest rangers go to “get away from it all?”
                                    14. What do you do when you see an endangered animal eating an endangered
                                    plant?
                                    15. If a parsley farmer is sued, can they garnish his wages?
                                    16. Would a fly without wings be called a walk?
                                    17. Why do they lock gas station bathrooms? Are they afraid someone will
                                    clean them?
                                    18. If a turtle doesn’t have a shell, is he homeless or naked?
                                    19. Why don’t sheep shrink when it rains?
                                    20. Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?
                                    21. If the police arrest a mime, do they tell him he has the right to remain
                                    silent?
                                    22. Why do they put Braille on the drive-through bank machines?
                                    23. How do blind people know when they are done wiping?
                                    24. How do they get the deer to cross at that yellow road sign?
                                    25. Is it true that cannibals don’t eat clowns because they taste funny?
                                    26. What was the best thing before sliced bread?
                                    27. One nice thing about egotists: they don’t talk about other people.
                                    28. To be intoxicated is to feel sophisticated, but not be able to say it.
                                    29. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
                                    30. The older you get, the better you realize you were.
                                    31. Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
                                    32. Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.
                                    33. Women like silent men, they think they’re listening.
                                    34. Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.
                                    35. Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and
                                    he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
                                    36. Do pediatricians play miniature golf on Wednesdays?
                                    37. Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?
                                    38. Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery?
                                    39. If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
                                    40. If God dropped acid, would he see people?
                                    41. If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too?
                                    42. If the #2 pencil is the most popular, why is it still #2?
                                    43. If work is so terrific, how come they have to pay you to do it?
                                    44. If you ate pasta and antipasta, would you still be hungry?
                                    45. If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?
                                    46. Why is it called tourist season if we can’t shoot at them?

Participant

Now don’t we feel better now?

Participant

haha. I just had to come back and read these posts.

I still wonder why Sylvan posts his responses, and then either deletes them or edits them. I can only imagine that he realizes that he has put his foot in his mouth. Man, that’s weak!!

Participant

Back to the question at hand…

I have the same problem. I have had a squeaky shower since my house was built. I have not gone to Home Depot. I came here to look for a suggestion. Unfortunately though, all that I am seeing is you guys spouting back-and-forth at each other.

Participant

The frequency of a sound is directly proportional to the velocity of the medium. A high pitched sound is evidence of the high velocity of the water passing through a specific segment of the sound bearing medium. The restrictive segment of the cylinder increases the velocity of water. It is necessary to discover the location of the restriction and increase the diameter. This may not be possible in contemporary construction as the economics of the investment may have proscribed potable water-bearing systems of sufficient size to permit low velocities. In this instance, replacement of a major portion of the system with larger conduits may be prohibitive and acquiescence to the continuation of aggressive sound is a given.

Participant

Hey Jack it is real easy to fix.

The problem is demonic possession by WAWA the nasty water god of velocity.

The cure is to strip down naked climb to the top of your roof ( This must
                                              be
                                              done at high noon )find a vent. It must be a plumbing vent roof vents are
                                              for a different demon.
                                              Have your wife or a loved run all the faucets in your home. When you are
                                              sure you reached peak flow start humming the theme song to Hawaii Five O.

Your problem will be solved

If you feel that this advice is in error I would suggest you call a
                                              plumbing
                                              professional

What do you want for nothing (((((( RUBBER BISCUTS ))))))

David

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Linda:
                                                Back to the question at hand…

I have the same problem. I have had a squeaky shower since my house was built. I have not gone to Home Depot. I came here to look for a suggestion. Unfortunately though, all that I am seeing is you guys spouting back-and-forth at each other.

Linda: Can you believe these staggeringly immature guys??? I came here looking for the answer to the whistling faucet problem, and although i enjoyed the george carlin stuff, this is an appalling waste of a beautiful Sunday afternoon, isn’t it???? I think I’ll just live with the faucet; it’s a lot less annoying than this!

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This